Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default One disrespectful, self-involved, extremely whiny 14yo up for grabs!

When my boys were toddlers and regularly naughty, I joked that we were going to leave them on a shelf at Target with a sign pinned on them that said, “up for grabs with free diapers thrown in.” Well the boys are fine now but dd is going through her “annoying child” phase now as an 8th grader. I was warned about this when the kids were little and my dd was the angel of the bunch. Not anymore. I’d trade her in for two teenage boys in a heartbeat right this instant. It started the month she got her first period over a year ago and she never changed back. The change in attitude was so remarkable that even her brothers noticed it even though we never told them she got her period. I miss my kind little girl and do NOT like this person who’s replaced her. Please tell me this is just a phase!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh I thought for sure you must be describing your DS3, lol. I know I've read about how he's been a tricky one over the years. I thought I might be able to commiserate with you and talk a little bit about my DS3 who is 10 and is just so challenging right now!

I didn't anticipate that it would be your DD. But I'm not terribly surprised. I remember BEING a 14yo girl and I really hate to think about it too much. I'm sure I was a huge grump and I was very moody and grouchy and hard to live with. I was actually really well behaved around everyone EXCEPT my family and I was especially trying for my mother. I mostly was figuring out who I was, wasn't terribly happy with myself (if I'm being honest) and took out every grumpy emotion on the people I felt safest with. And since my mom was the "woman" in my life I compared myself against her both favorably and unfavorably and boy I'm glad she still likes me after how I acted (snarky and biting comments, anger outbursts and all...) I'm not looking forward to that with my DD.

I hope things get better in your household!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Already got one of those, but thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll trade you for my emotionally volatile 12 year old DS (ADHD).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is she struggling with her period? I did much the same when I started, and no one told me that it was not normal to be in such pain all the time. I've had massive problems since I was a teen, and didn't speak to anyone, even my doctors, for years because I thought that was what every female had. Turns out, I had fibroids and simply didn't know my pain levels were abnormal and my hormones (and mood swings) were wacky. Birth control pills to even out my cycle and mood made a big difference to me, even though my mother was concerned about having me on birth control. But - boys were still "icky" then!
    If you're seeing swings within her cycle, perhaps she should talk - privately - to her doctor.

I've only gone through that age with boys so far - not looking forward to sweet and considerate DD hitting it. But, man, it's rough. I keep repeating the serenity prayer to myself so I don't completely lose my mind. DS1(16yo) seems to have come out the other side and is much more even-tempered and pleasant while DS2 (13yo) is in the thick of it.

DH was frustrated with DS2's attitude today and I had to reminded him that I spent several years (when DS1 was probably age 13-15) mumbling that one of us wasn't making it out alive. Well, we are both alive and well so it gives me hope! Still not fun!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

YES, your sweet DD will return... older... but she will be back. It is hormones AND social pressure AND hormones... Middle school and early high school seem to be the worst. You might track her moods along with her cycle (if you are aware of her cycle) just to see if there is a correlation. Definitely let her doctor know so they can check in with your DD privately...

Sending hugs. Growing up is very hard...

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can totally empathize. So sad.

Very surprised you were a challenging teen, Bisous. I was too. I didn’t get nearly enough sleep and was a terrible grump. I’m sure I was moody also.
    K

Just going to commiserate with you. My DD is just turned 12 and the past 6 months have been quite the ride. No period yet, but she has to be getting close. I know my mother says she did not like me again until I was 16 which isn't giving me a lot of optimism. DS2 is almost 15 and starting puberty on the late side, so I'm getting push back from my biggest sweetheart child also. He's just not quite as extreme as the youngest.

And then my DS1 who is a senior looks at the emotional swings and attitudes of his siblings and just smirks saying he gets to move out in five months. He's the one I like right now who is never home, so he's really not helping the cause.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can relate. DDs are 12 and 14 and both can be downright nasty humans. DD1 is mean and miserable and sassy quite often. I find myself saying “can you please talk nice to people” regularly. But she’s perfectly perfect at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast