Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best kind of bags?

So ds1 is going to two different sleep away camps this summer.

I like to get him two things; collapsible laundry bag that can be pulled up while in use and collapse to bring home.

Bag/suitcase/duffel? To pack for camp and store away under his bunk bed. Space is at premium in one of his camps and suggested bags that’s easy fold up and store under beds.

Any tips for ease of packing/storing/ etc anything that worked for your kids??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Patagonia Blake Hole Duffle Bags. They come in different sizes, they are indestructible, they are always on the best of bag lists, they will carry through to college.
    https://www.patagonia.com/shop/lugga...BoC_TkQAvD_BwE

We've done a mix of different duffle bags for camps in the past but where mine go, they are assigned a cubby with shelves and store everything in there. I know ours are from LL Bean and Osprey but were purchased for general travel.

My kids say packing in outfits is helpful. We roll one outfit (shirt, shorts and unders) together and secure it with a rubber band. They like the ease of grabbing an outfit in the morning instead of rifling through for the different parts.

For dirty laundry, the campers hang their bags up on a hook next to their bunks so we have mesh sports ball bags similar to something like this because it was recommended that these hold up better than most mesh laundry bags. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WFCVC...d_asin_0_title

I'm guessing you'll need a toiletry bag or caddy. We use soft caddies from Target, marketed to the college dorm crowd. Some kids have storage pouches that hang on the frame of their bunk for books, notebooks/pens, cards, flashlights etc.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Best kind of bags?

We send DD2 with her carryon suitcase and put her clothes in packing cubes. What is not worn stays in the packing cube and what is worn is just placed hap hazardly in the suitcase and then immediately placed in the dirty laundry bin at home. Dd2 is only gone for a week though.

Toiletries are placed in a cosmetic bag and things that can leak are placed in a gallon ziploc bag.

Some friends of mine raved about this tote they bought at Costco and used as their carry on/under seat bag on a trip to London (from SoCal). Unfortunately I can’t find it on the Costco site. An Ebags Motherlode bag may work as they aren’t as thick as a regular carryon size suit case and they hold a fair amount of stuff (especially if using packing cubes). The Junior is a backpack only version and there is the 21” wheeled version; both could work pretty well (depending on the terrain headed to the camp cabins). I will say that the backpack bag is kind of heavy if you aren’t an adult….Dd2 who is now 5’3” may not complain about having to use it now, but she would’ve complained about it before this year. It might fit her better now because she is taller (she be 12 in 3 weeks though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-05-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

All camps are so different. Ours have taken a variety of duffle bags or suitcases. We drive him right to the door of his cabin and pick him up there so efficiency of carrying doesn't matter much and they have storage.
    Putting a single day's outfit in a gallon baggie was our best camp solution (plus one for pjs, socks, cold day, rain and 1 extra set). Then we just put a mesh laundry bag in the luggage and he loads it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Patagonia Blake Hole Duffle Bags. They come in different sizes, they are indestructible, they are always on the best of bag lists, they will carry through to college.
    https://www.patagonia.com/shop/lugga...BoC_TkQAvD_BwE
    Ditto! My daughter has the 55L, I think- maybe a little bigger. She loves it because she can wear it like a backpack, and then puts her actual backpack in front. She has been through many an airport with that combo. Makes me laugh every time I see her. The girl loves her bags. She also uses cubes for a lot of her items. Several different sizes that we have picked up at TJ Maxx. They help her organize all of her stuff.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We do a plastic tub for camp. If you can find out what size would fit under the bed that could work. I send bedding up in a stronger garbage bag and that of course collapses down and goes inside the tub until time to pack up. I’ve sent a laundry bag also, but my kids never use it.
    K

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just send my kids with their normal carryon hard side suitcase, which will slide under the bed no problem.

Instead of a laundry bag, I've started sending clothes in 2-ish day increments packed in compression packing bags. That way, as the clean clothes come out, the dirty ones can go in, and get sealed up. Much less stinky drive home with the sealed dirty clothing.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

DS goes to camp for a month, and his camp also asks for things that will take less space. He takes a big rolling duffle from Costco, and then a soft sided duffle bag for whatever else doesn't fit. He also takes a plastic 3 drawer unit - but that is something that is specific to his camp - some don't allow them. I would definitely recommend talking to other parents who have kids at that camp to know what is "normal" and make sure he has the right stuff. Some camps have a specific kind of camp chair that "everyone" has. That's not a thing at DS's camp.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Value for dollar, these are the best, IMO. The Patagonia Black Holes are also great but much pricier - we have both and I don't think there is any difference in quality - just shiny fabric/brand name. These also have backpack straps as an option for carrying, along with traditional duffel straps. They cinch down small when not full. They are pretty indestructible and hold a ton.

https://www.rei.com/b/rei-co-op/c/du...ackpack+Straps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast