Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Covid and travel

So here is the timeline of events
    4/3- DH leaves for a work conference.
    4/4- 4/6 he has mild allergy symptoms . He always has allergies this time of the year, so he continues thinking its allergies.
    4/6- he comes back home late in the night. we dont even think about covid at this point. he doesnt mask of quarantine around us.
    4/7- he has fatigue and decided to test. came back +ve.He has been quarantining in the guest bed room ever since.
    4/8- kids and I test negative. Even thought we were exposed to him for more than a day.
    4/9 ( today). DH is feeling mich better. Still going to quarantine atleast until 4/12.
    I am feeling the beginning of an allergy- could be covid too.

Here is our problem. We are supposed to leave for Greece on April 15th- combined vacaiton with DH's side of family who we havent met in 3 years.

DH will be fine by then. Would the kids or I be sick by then ? I am going crazy with all the permutations. Greece doesnt require a covid test. But ofcourse we plan to test before leaving. the trip is mostly non refundable... WWYD?

We are all vaccinated and boosted as per the recommendation by age.

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Are you testing using rapid or PCR? I would probably test again tomorrow because that would give you 5 days of quarantine before leaving if you got a positive so going would be doable. I would probably test again Tuesday and Thursday and would plan on sending those in your family that are negative and your DH. If one of the kids test positive, I would send DH and stay home with positive kid.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

if you have symptoms technically you aren’t supposed to travel for 10 days. See the CDC guidance below. My niece tested positive right before spring break and had symptoms so they had to delay their departure date.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...#do-not-travel
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh… so difficult. The day you test positive or first have symptoms is your Day 0 and your 5 days of isolation begins after that. So if you get a positive tomorrow you would not be able to travel on 4/15. Most transmission occurs within 3-5 days so those that have no symptoms after 5 days will likely be ok. But I think you need a back up plan ASAP… can you & kids go a few days later if needed?

FWIW… I had Covid in Jan and my family was exposed for 1 day before I realized it and isolated and no one else got it.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    if you have symptoms technically you aren’t supposed to travel for 10 days. See the CDC guidance below. My niece tested positive right before spring break and had symptoms so they had to delay their departure date.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...#do-not-travel
    This. Even if he's past the 5 day mark he's very likely still contagious. Most adults I know are testing antigen positive until days 9-11. Even if he masks at the airport and on the plane he'll still be removing it to eat and drink. In addition to the unsuspecting souls around him on the plane the rest of the family will have additional chances of exposure to him too as you travel together.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it is probably not a good idea to travel. Does he have negative antigen tests yet? I know I tested positive for 11 days, my kids tested positive for 8 and 9 days. My husband didn’t get a positive Covid test until we were on our day 8 and he tested positive for nearly 10 days. There was quite a bit of delay from when the kids and I got sick, and my husband got sick.

I just had friends get stuck for an extra 9 days in Ireland because they tested positive during their trip. If you do go, I think that is something to consider. Can you afford to be stuck there for extra time?

So to me the trip would already be off (or postponed if practical) so I’d see what can still be cancelled. Even non-refundable tickets you can sometimes basically get their value to travel another time within six month/ a year. The five day quarantine is a tricky change. Lots of people are still contagious at five days and they changed it because of economic effects. So basically you are cleared to work, with a mask on at all times, after five days if symptoms are resolving. You aren’t cleared to socialize, travel, etc. at five days. He will still be inside the ten days on 4/15. Not to mention the rest of you who may or may not still test positive. Not only are you on a long flight where masking the entire time is probably impractical, exposing strangers, but then you are with his family exposing them. I have no idea what the requirements are for traveling to Greece (whether you need a negative test, what type, etc.) but I think you’ll still need a negative test to reenter the US. I know it’s terrible to cancel but I think it’s the only right thing to do.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That is a tough one. What a hard situation to be in! Especially for something as big as a trip to Greece to see family that you haven't seen in three years. My mind would be whirling over this too.

In my own experience, my DD and several coworkers continued to test positive on the rapid tests well past five days (some even after day 10.) Has your DH tested again? That would be a good thing to check. And talk with your doctor about her recommendations- she/he may be able to give you a timeline on when to test. At the least she could get you and your kids signed up for PCR tests so you are using the most sensitive testing before getting on a plane.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think the answer is on the clear side of not traveling as originally planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Bil started to feel Unwell last Saturday and tested positive Sunday. He’s still positive today. Sister and kids have stayed negative (bil is in basement). Ymmv but likely same strain. Traveling seems unlikely so sorry.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast