Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default If you had 1 day in Paris...

What would you do? There's honestly no must dos on our list.

(please no critiques on my timing- we totally know 1 day is silly but we're rolling with it and we plan to go back for a week in 2 years. We actually have 2.5 day but thought building 1 full day would be a fun activity!)

I look forward to hearing how you'd spend your day. Bonus points for any specifics (tour guides, cafes, websites...).

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did less than a day in Paris a few years ago. We took the Eurostar from London, arriving about 10 IIRC. From there we took a bus to Tracadero and walked to the Eiffel Tower. Went up the Eiffel Tower and then had a picnic lunch I’d packed nearby. From there we strolled along the river to Place de la Concorde and then through the Tuleries to the Louvre pyramid. Then we walked to where we were picking up a rental car to drive several hours to Normandy.

Probably not that helpful to you. Just wanted to share that people told me we were crazy too, but I have no regrets. Our main goal was Normandy, but stopping in Paris for a while to do the Eiffel Tower and take in the atmosphere was well worth it. I would have squeezed an art museum in if it had been just me, but my family would not have appreciated that. And due to my DS’s food allergies, food can’t be the focus of our vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren't crazy at all! You will make it work. I'm probably no help because we had 4 days and used it wandering neighborhoods and visiting sites more leisurely without a tour. With one day like that, I'd be tempted to book a walking or biking tour or do the hop-on/hop-off bus. I have never done one of the buses like this, but it seems like a great way to see the city and hop off at a few sites that interest you the most. That said though, Paris is so walkable and the subway is easy to navigate. We are in Munich for one day this summer and I'm planning on a bike tour to hit the high points. I wish we had more time since we love to wander beyond tourist spots but it's the best for our itinerary so I completely get it. Have fun! Paris is so amazing!

Here are a few quick one-day blog posts I googled. I tend to use posts like this to start my trip planning so maybe they will help you too.
    https://www.frommers.com/destination...ies/in-one-day
    https://www.ourescapeclause.com/one-day-in-paris/
    https://www.discoverwalks.com/blog/paris-in-a-day/
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We did less than a day in Paris a few years ago. We took the Eurostar from London, arriving about 10 IIRC. From there we took a bus to Tracadero and walked to the Eiffel Tower. Went up the Eiffel Tower and then had a picnic lunch I’d packed nearby. From there we strolled along the river to Place de la Concorde and then through the Tuleries to the Louvre pyramid. Then we walked to where we were picking up a rental car to drive several hours to Normandy.

Probably not that helpful to you. Just wanted to share that people told me we were crazy too, but I have no regrets. Our main goal was Normandy, but stopping in Paris for a while to do the Eiffel Tower and take in the atmosphere was well worth it. I would have squeezed an art museum in if it had been just me, but my family would not have appreciated that. And due to my DS’s food allergies, food can’t be the focus of our vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I think I'd try to do too. The Louvre is huge and overwhelming to some but I loved it. Musee D'Orsay is a hit with nearly everyone and much smaller. You can see a lot if you ride on one of those river cruises. When I went (in 2000!) the metro was extremely easy to ride on and very useful to get around in. I feel like I was able to see many of the sites in Paris easily. Have a great day!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would take the Batobus down the Seine starting at the beginning and getting off at the Louvre, walk through the Jardin de Tuileries and get lunch in one of the cafes at the gardens. Get back on to the Eiffel Tour. Walk around and take some photos, no real reason to ride up to the top. If you have time for one museum, spend an hour at the Musee D'Orsat (also on the Batobus route) and get some dinner in the Marais. A perfect day in Paris!

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I would take the Batobus down the Seine starting at the beginning and getting off at the Louvre, walk through the Jardin de Tuileries and get lunch in one of the cafes at the gardens. Get back on to the Eiffel Tour. Walk around and take some photos, no real reason to ride up to the top. If you have time for one museum, spend an hour at the Musee D'Orsat (also on the Batobus route) and get some dinner in the Marais. A perfect day in Paris!
    I’d do this, but visit the Ste. Chapelle instead (since Norte Dame is out.) if the weather is crappy, Musee D’orsay as well. I did London in a day when I was 21 (British Museum and Westminster Abbey…art history student, so the British museum was a must.)

http://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

For me, the beauty of Paris is the streets, but HARD YES to Ste Chapelle. Then just walk around the neighborhoods, sit for a coffee, walk more, sit for lunch, walk more, sit for a Kir, etc

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Love these!! Thank you!!

Oh yeah. The Sainte Chapelle is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen IRL. It is super old and historic but it is on its own just incredibly stunning. When I was in Paris we actually caught a violin concert that was held at sunset and it was magical!

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Batobus must have been what we took. I couldn't remember what it was called. That's a REALLY good way to see Paris!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast