♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default too much in one day.

today in summary

1 my 12 yo DS was in the most rotten mood this morning, it's like he hates me. i wanted to drive him to school to have more time with him (i know he prefers it) but couldn't bc i had to get things done for this presentation for work i was giving today
    2. exhausted as heck bc i stayed up till 11pm last night finishing up this presentation, as i had no time during the day to do it. went well but now it's just on to the next thing
    3. the role i just interviewed for, the one i spent most of Easter weekend to prepare for (while DH & kids went out of town)... found out today it's not going forward. I thought it went decently well, had a referral from friend who works there but still not enough.
    4. to get my mind off things, i went out to lunch with DH today, and in pulling out I scraped side of my car and passenger side mirror so hard the mirror housing broke and fell off...not only is my car damaged but it will be $$ to repair.
    5. I had been planning/hoping we could spend an extra week this July in my hometown so i could spend some time with my parents and help my mom who has Parkinsons. Needed a place where DH & I could work and kids could play during the day, close enough to my parents house. But trying to book places today the cheapest place on airbnb we could find that would be big enough was $5000, for ONE WEEK. While I really want to be there for my mom in these times and i want her to spend time with my kiddos, knowing I will have the same job/income, I realized I cannot justify spending $5k for a week just to be working somewhere else! And no, I cannot take that time off either.
    6. argued with DH, who thinks i should still spend the $$ for the extra week to be with my family, but i know he is really worried about the cost.

sigh.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-21-2022 at 12:49 AM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sending hugs. And coffee. I hate those days when it feels like the world has conspired against you. I hope today is a better day!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m sorry your day was so rotten. I hope today brings a perfect Airbnb listing and a lower cost of car repair than you expected at the auto repair place. Hopefully some good things will happen today to balance out your week!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so sorry. Those all really stink.

Can you do a hotel suite for the trip? Any of your friends who need housesitting then? Can’t hurt to ask around.
    K

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have had too many of those kinds of days around here lately, too. Sending hugs.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I'm so sorry, any of that would make for a crappy day and to have it all pile on feels just unfair! I'm so sorry the job fell through that really sucks.

Can you do a hotel suite for the trip?
    I was wondering this as well - get something cancelable up until the day before and then keep an eye out for something more charming closer to the date.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks all. appreciate your kind words. i am feeling WAY better about things now. on the car mirror repair, i made an appt and got an estimate for the service and it was $535 (!) bc regardless of the damage to just one small piece, they'd have to replace the entire thing (with electronics, etc). Um, no ...only one small part of it is damaged and it's plastic (housing, motors and electronics are all fine). So i searched on ebay and found the exact piece I needed to replace, for $34. Yay. So i canceled my service appt and will be waiting for that, and will just fix it & replace myself.

And on the trip to CA- after tons of searching, reviewing our summer calendar, etc I redid our plan and managed to figure out an 11-day trip earlier in July (so less worry about me having to work during the trip) and decided to split up the stays into one 4-night stay at one airbnb that was relatively cheap (under $300/night), and then a 6night stay at a bigger, much more expensive place with a pool . The expensive place looks especially nice and is literally just 1 mile from my parents house which should make it easier. The thing is, i like spending time with family and want to help, but can only tolerate so much and it can be incredibly stressful after a couple days. Having our own place close by to be able to run off to (if one of us needs to do a bit of work, or kids want to chill in the pool) would make it 1000x better. In past couple years we've stayed at a hotel when visiting my parents, but it's just one room for 4 of us so we literally would just go there to shower and sleep. An airbnb is so much nicer bc we have multiple rooms, multiple baths. The hotels in the area don't really have suites available; we've done 2 rooms in the past but it ends up being way cheaper to do an airbnb.

And today was a great day - today DD (11) went to a birthday party for one of her BFFs from school. she had been looking forward to it for weeks, it was so cute. it was her first bday party EVER where i dropped her off and she wasn't with DS. My DD has her own real friends! This is huge for her. She was out of the house for over 5 hours. So for the first time since he was a baby, DH and I went out for lunch with just DS. It was so strange and cool at the same time. Since DD is the pickiest eater, we got to pick a new place where we didn't have to worry about her liking the food. Anyway, it was great - he wouldn't admit it, but I could tell he was happy as a clam. I forget that tweens can be so sensitive and wanting so much attention.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-23-2022 at 11:35 PM.

I am so glad to hear you worked things out for your trip and car repair and had a great day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Love this follow-up. Yay for solid plans, saving money on a car repair, seeing growth in your DD and spending one-on-one time with your DS!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh I'm glad you got things worked out for the most part! Much better update!