Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Are you all seeing a ton of posts by the parents in these parent college FB groups where the parent posts glamour shots of his/her student, complete with every detail imaginable about the child? I am seeing posts that leave little to the imagination-- where the student lives, the student's major/area of interest for studies, every activity the student has done throughout his/her lifetime, list of the student's passions and interests. I am seeing every detail about the student being posted by the parent, short of the student's social security number and mother's maiden name. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but does anyone else think that's a bit TMI before the student has even stepped foot onto campus as a student? I know parents are proud, but maybe a little privacy for the student would be appreciated.
    Lol, no, I don't see that on the parent page I'm on. It wouldn't surprise me to see it though.

It probably is a roommate-finder grab. For pete's sake - LET THE KID FIGURE IT OUT!! There are a bunch of experienced parents who would eventually shut that down and tell them to tell their KID to go to the STUDENT roommate-finder page, that this isn't a parent page issue.

My kid did a random roommate. It was a bad, bad fit. This girl had mental health issues that were difficult to live with. But, ya know what, my kid learned life-lessons from that! It was up to her to navigate it all, not her parents. The roommate did move out, my daughter learned to advocate for herself with the housing department to secure a roommate she knew was transferring to the U in a month's time. It was a unique situation that the website / housing portal didn't address. She couldn't just click a button and make it work, she had to talk to them directly and ask for what she wanted.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Are you all seeing a ton of posts by the parents in these parent college FB groups where the parent posts glamour shots of his/her student, complete with every detail imaginable about the child? I am seeing posts that leave little to the imagination-- where the student lives, the student's major/area of interest for studies, every activity the student has done throughout his/her lifetime, list of the student's passions and interests. I am seeing every detail about the student being posted by the parent, short of the student's social security number and mother's maiden name. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but does anyone else think that's a bit TMI before the student has even stepped foot onto campus as a student? I know parents are proud, but maybe a little privacy for the student would be appreciated.
    Yikes! Is this a school in the south? I can't imagine a post like that at my son's tiny PNW liberal arts college!

An incoming freshman mom posted in our group yesterday asking which social media the incoming students used to find roommates. Every single response was to trust the school's process and let the school match the students.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ha! Overall I find the group helpful (slac) but there are always those few parents who complain about everything. I have seen all the benefits my kid has compared to my friend’s kids, so I feel like saying get over it!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Yeah, this is for a university of around 20K students. As a SLAC graduate, what does anybody have to complain about??? We got sooo much attention!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5