Thread: Executrix

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Executrix

What is that? Some specialized dominatrix speciality? Nope is the feminine form of executor of an estate. I am taking over my mother’s estate from my brother. I got to fly down to appear in person in some County in SW Pennsylvania in a Registry of Wills that appears to be stuck in the 19th c. Digitization? What’s that? So everyone insists on using the feminized form of executor, because my bits and bobs matter in any legal sense? Even my spellcheck doesn’t recognize the word! It’s not on the legal form. Seriously, what is with the insistence of using gender specific words in these situations. That and because NO ONE wear masks down there I had to forgo mine in the courthouse. I mean, sure, I could have worn it. But clearly since they gave 3 different answers to my lawyer over the phone of what was needed and did a fourth thing when we got there it was fairly obvious they could make my life miserable very easily and make me fly down again to get this done, dragging out this whole thing and making it impossible to get my mother’s house out of foreclosure. So I went maskless and pasted a smile on my face and made small talk about sports. Now I have to wait another 2 weeks to get it official, they said just two days when we were there. Bank won’t talk to me until we have paperwork. They started foreclosure already. Meanwhile my brother has it in his head that the property is work 50% more that what it is and is mad at me. No, mom was a hoarder, didn’t do a thing in 20 years to the house that she bought for the original owners of 20 years that made no updates. So no, the prices in Zillow don’t reflect this townhouse. I’m hoping we don’t lose money.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sorry you’re dealing with the added challenges—even the routine process of administering a well organized estate is no fun.

And yes, the terminology is archaic. When I was "executrix" of my parents' estates, my family started calling me Trixie.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Ugh, sorry you are having to deal with all of this.

I have never heard of that terminology! When I handled my father’s estate they used the term “Personal Representative” rather than executor, and it was the first time I had heard that too. It must vary by state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, legalese is just the best. (Not.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yikes that sounds stressful and basically just awful. I hope it works out and you don't lose money.

However, I saw the word Executrix today!! I got a payment from a class action my dad was in (he passed away 14 years ago??) and I was an Executrix on the check. I was like uh, really?? My brother was Executor on his check, obviously. But it's just beyond random to see that word twice in the same day. Waiting on the third...
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please