Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Has your family done long trips / international travel before? We travel a ton, but have learned about 12 days is our sweet spot, 14 is still nice, 18 is too much. I would be hesitant to add on more unless you know your family's stamina for travel.

3 days is good to hit all the highlights of a London. Mileage vary from family to family but I often find anytime longer than 14-18 days we start to get antsy to return home.

So your 3 days prior cruise, 3 additional days post cruise of your 12 days at sea makes it 18 days total. You can always return to London or other areas of England for longer trips. I tend to make frequent week-10 days trips on annual basis to keep ourselves satisfied with travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Has your family done long trips / international travel before? We travel a ton, but have learned about 12 days is our sweet spot, 14 is still nice, 18 is too much. I would be hesitant to add on more unless you know your family's stamina for travel.
    Just Dh and myself. We did 15 days in 2019. That was the longest trip for both of us. We had 2/1/2 days in Sweden pre cruise and then the 10 day cruise (with one day at sea) and then three full days in Copenhagen. Dh got sick (bad cold/fever) between day 7 and day 8 and spent all of day 9 (day at sea) in bed. By day 11 when the cruise disembarked and we were in Copenhagen I was starting to come down with a cold and just needed that rest day. The next two days were better, but I honestly felt like I needed a full rest day before sight seeing for a full day. The weather didn’t help either because it was unusually hot and humid. So with that said I am hoping I don’t have the same issue in London. This cruise is 10 days as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Yes to this! I never thought about it so clearly but this is exactly why I suggested leaving your London segment at 3 days. We travel internationally a few times a year and don't like being gone more than 2 weeks. Most of our trips sit at 11-12 days and I'm always ready to head home. Do what works for your family!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default 3 days in London is not enough time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Yes to this! I never thought about it so clearly but this is exactly why I suggested leaving your London segment at 3 days. We travel internationally a few times a year and don't like being gone more than 2 weeks. Most of our trips sit at 11-12 days and I'm always ready to head home. Do what works for your family!
    I think because we travel internationally so infrequently I don’t want to it seem like we are missing things. I don’t know when we will be able to go back. We traveled to the east coast last summer and were gone for 8 days and that was the first time any of us had been past Mountain time zone (one hour) since 2008; dd2 had never been past Mountain time zone. I felt like we could’ve been gone another week and been fine. We just don’t usually travel far (Wyoming is usually there furthest east and Portland, OR the furthest north). This trip and our last trip will be 5 years apart. I know we are a huge anomaly in the BBB world though.

FWIW: from the DDs last trip to Wyoming in 2019 (same time as our last trip) they were ready to come home by about day 20 which was when we got there to pick them up. We stayed and additional 5 days. Because my in laws live in the middle of nowhere that requires a three and a half to four hour drive from the airport we try to stay for a few days before leaving again. Dd2 is going there again this summer and will be away from home from 25 days (one day drive to Sacramento, visit my parents for a day, spend the 4th with BIL/ILS/Cousins and then they head off to Wyoming on 7-5, and we (Dh, DD1, and myself) will get there on 7-23 and leave on 7-27) so hopefully she will be fine. It is a long time to be gone but she is looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-17-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

YMMV, but for us there is a difference between time away in one spot (we can do that for very long stretches happily) and active travel where you are changing locations, etc. Each family and person is totally different though, for sure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2