Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default 3 days in London is not enough time, right?

So in 2024 my family is planning another European cruise. This time we are going from Oslo to London (10 day cruise). The plan is to spend three days in Oslo prior to the cruise and 3 days in London post cruise, but I am thinking we should probably due 5-7 days in London instead of just 3. None of us have ever been to London. We would be there in mid to late July. I know this is very far in the future, but I just thought I would ask here anyways.

My kids would also probably really enjoy a day in Paris we’ll just to get something off a bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Make the most of what you've got. We arrive on a Saturday AM and depart for Paris on Tuesday AM. I have filled a lot of our time but still have time for just soaking it in. Our whole trip is a "taste" of different places with a plan to head back to spend more time based on what we experience on this trip.

Considering the trip is already more than 2 weeks, I think 3 days is sufficient. Sounds super amazing
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can always fill more time in a place like London, but three full days also gives you time to hit the things you care most about. Really hinges on how long you want to be away and whether you will all still be enjoying full days of urban exploring if you extend your trip further.

There is always more to see and do no matter where you travel. I'm sure you could fill more days but I'm not sure you will want to. If 3 is what you have, it's definitely more than an adequate amount to enjoy the highlights. At the end of a trip, I'd be inclined to leave it at three. London is active and busy and I'd probably find 3 days of city exploration to be the perfect amount after 3 days is probably just enough but not too much, IMO.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m of the opinion that you can never spend enough days in London. Or most places I travel. More is always better IMO. But obviously practicalities often limit us. So if you’re looking for someone to support your opinion, I’m your woman. I vote for 4 weeks. More days also makes it easier to make a day trip or overnight to Paris. And while many will say a day in Paris isn’t enough, a day in Paris is better than no day in Paris.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I could've spent 3 weeks in London and still not have seen or done everything I'd wanted to ... and this was 27 years ago!

However, you can pack a lot into 3 days if you plan them well!

Public transport is very easy to use, and it's a very walkable city - I loved wandering around Covent Garden (wasn't supposed to be on my own, but ... introverts are kinda sneaky; I just made sure the chaperones saw my face every now and again), for example, but I also adored the Tower of London tour (was standard-with-admission Yeoman Warders overview of the history of the site, nothing extra, although there are extra tours too) and seeing the Crown Jewels. (And realizing exactly how tiny Queen Victoria had been - one of her formal gowns, I've forgotten if it was her wedding gown or her coronation gown, was on display in the queuing area - was kind of interesting.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would add extra days to your time in London especially if returning as a family isn’t likely. The bulk of the expenses will already be paid. you’ll just be adding a few nights lodging and meals. You can choose budget friendly options for both. There is so much to see in London you won’t be bored. Extra days also means you can plan some time in Paris.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would add extra days to your time in London especially if returning as a family isn’t likely. The bulk of the expenses will already be paid. you’ll just be adding a few nights lodging and meals. You can choose budget friendly options for both. There is so much to see in London you won’t be bored. Extra days also means you can plan some time in Paris.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Thank you everyone! Yes the bulk of the expenses will be paid for (by my Grandma….who will be 95 that year and would rather spend our inheritance on family trips!). We will have to pay for meals off the ship, an upgrade in airfare if we decide to do that (I would upgrade to mid plane vs. back of the plane not to anything crazy like business or first class), and any hotel lodging that would go beyond the 3 days, if we were to stay longer. Honestly I am not sure when or if we will go back as we have been trying to save for DDs college and it could retirement before we go back. Of course a lot would depend on the cost of things as things get closer but we have a ton of time to plan. I love cruising because you only have to unpack a few times (if more than once just getting on the ship), and you automatically get to see a variety of sites. Plus if the excursions aren’t exciting you can spend a day in port on your own.

This is the cruise stops if anyone is interested. It goes to Denmark, Norway, Scotland, and the UK.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-09-2022 at 09:28 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We just did three days in London and just worked hard to prioritize what was on our "must do" list. We saw one major attraction each day and arrived before opening to beat the crowds. Later each day we went to a less-busy attraction and filled in the rest of the time with markets/shopping or walking around.

For example, the first morning we took the Thames Clipper to the Tower of London (also recommend the Yeoman Warders tour) and saw the crown jewels. Getting there early was essential as the crowds were pretty large by the time we were leaving and this was in April! Then we headed over to the Sky Garden (get free tickets online a few weeks in advance) to see the city from above. After that, off to Borough Market for lunch which was fantastic. The rest of the day was wandering around and we did one of the Rick Steves audio walks (free, there's an app, just download the walk audio before you leave). The next day we saw the British Museum and British Library and on our last morning split up - DD and I went to the V&A Museum while DH and DS went to the Churchill War Rooms.
    Boober (10/05) and JuJuBe (5/09)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast