Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
I actually love the philosophy of bringing the whole family and do think it is a part of the Boy Scout culture/philosophy. I've always loved that my big kids get the attention and can be good examples to my little kids and we love anything we can do together. I know not all agree with that but I do wonder how much of that perspective is baked in. I think there is a tendency to let kids run wild and that's a different issue and I agree it can be distracting! Which is why sadly I still have to keep my kids home sometimes because not only can my kids be distracting to others but they ruin the experience for me too, lol.
Yes. This was common at my brother’s scout troop which was based in a Mormon church and my Catholic dad was one of their leaders for most of the years my brother was in the troop. I always looked forward to the monthly family meeting and the meeting always started with the social and then there was a prayer and then the program started. The church was big enough that there was space for daycare and usually one of the moms or the older teen girls would take the little ones to the room where they could be rambunctious and not interrupt the program. When my brother eventually left that troop (our Mormon friends moved out of the area) and joined a different troop there was almost zero family participation. I don’t even remember going to any promotion ceremonies or Pinewood Derbies at the new troop because it was just a father/son event.

I was involved in 4-H and there were sometimes a handful of siblings at monthly meetings because the organization was run by parents and teens, but mainly babies in strollers and not toddlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk