Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Numbers are definitely going up here. After not hearing about cases for weeks, several friends are now positive for the first time in the pandemic. The emails from school started week before last. DS2 and DD were both potentially exposed (someone in their grade at a medium sized private K-8 school tested positive). There is no way DS1 hasn't been exposed as he's in a large high school and plays on both club and school sports teams. DD's coach tested positive today and DD was last around her Friday. We are sitting ducks here for sure and I fully anticipate someone will test positive sooner rather than later. I bought new masks for the first time in months and will encourage my kids to wear them so we can get through the school year but I'm not confident they will.

No plans to take kids out of in-person school or activities. They need their peers, teachers, physical outlets and everything else that comes with it.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I work for a large hospital system in Michigan (although I live 2.5 hours away in Indiana) and the numbers have steadily risen from around 4% daily positivity to 21%+ as of Friday. I would guess the actual number is more like 30% positivity because so many people have just quit testing and almost no one wears masks. The silver lining is that although the rate is rising steadily, so far, hospitalizations are remaining fairly low.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chlobo, zero covid isn’t an option. Look at China. The red states did no better than blue (compare Texas to Illinois). The rhino comparison kind of annoys me, to be frank. It assumes that when someone gets it, they did something wrong or accepted the “Rhino” impending status.

We got covid in a blue state. Only 2/3 kids were in school, for a half day two days with no food and only sips of water. The other kid was forcibly remote. We masked and didn’t go out. We mostly got groceries delivered but sometimes grabbed a gallon of milk. We had mask mandates and near lockdown status. The current variant is more contagious. A cloth mask does nothing. The zero covid folks are not dealing in reality.

To say that’s accepting of a rhino transformation really makes my blood boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not a healthcare worker, but in the last month, multiple coworkers have tested positive. We got our first ever letter from DD2's school saying that she was exposed in class (negative PCR & home test, since she got an ear infection during that time) and one from DS's school saying everyone at prom was exposed. (He is a sophomore, so didn't go to prom. Thankfully.) Plus, the county I work in has now moved back up to medium instead of low. (County i live in is still low, but I don't really trust those numbers.) School has now requested that everyone with symptoms of allergies get a PCR test, so not at home tests.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely more COVID. Not, so far, the "OMG everyone has COVID how will we staff the ER/OR" panic of January. Very blue state and maybe a few more masks in the Costco, but otherwise no one really changing behavior that much. Per my DH, no where near the "OMG look at all the COVID inpatients on vents" of January, or August 2020, or April 2020.

No masks in school - DS's teacher was in school, unmasked and symptomatic on 5/2 before going out the rest of the week COVID+. As far as I can tell no kids got sick though.

My DD has had 2 yucky colds in the past 3 weeks, now working on 5 days out of school. I do a home test each day she's sick, and so far they've been negative. I'm not inclined to look for it much more than that.

I'm happy that we are having a surge now because that will probably mean cases will be much lower by this summer for our planned trips and less chance of disruption.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here.

We just got notice that masks will be required for graduation. However, they will allow grads to unmask at the stairs of the stage, walk across, get their photo and document, walk to end of stage and re-mask. All others on stage but the grad will stay masked. A good compromise, I think.

It's so hard to figure out what things are going look like next school year. We have spoken to both the online school and in-person school, and for the moment are remaining enrolled online. The online school is very hard to get into. As per local in-person school, we can change to them in August but the online school's enrollment is now closed for next year. My child had excelled in online school (his lowest class right now is 94%).

So... successfully putting off another hard decision.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A tiny increase in covid positivity rate here in Los Angeles over the past month, but we're talking from under 0.5% positivity to just over 2% positivity. Deaths and hospitalizations are at extremely low levels. It seems like several people I know who managed to escape covid over the past 2 years finally got it in the past month. Our immediate family is still covid-free though unless we picked it up at the bar mitzvah we went to on Saturday that had a completely indoor reception.

I couldn't imagine my kid still doing remote school from home. We are actually switching DS2 to private school next school year because of LAUSD's teacher shortage and DS2 being in person at school but still having 2 core classes online because they haven't been able to hire a permanent teacher. He's been miserable this year because of it so is switching to private for 8th grade.

DS1 is in college in eastern Washington and his school has been dealing with a covid outbreak for the past month. They went back to masks indoors a month ago in order to make it to graduation and have their regular in person ceremony. DS1 comes home on Saturday and is covid-free so far. His eczema biologic is apparently protective against covid and is currently being studied as a covid treatment so I think that's why he's managed to escape it.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3