chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best shampoo for curly hair

My daughter is looking for new shampoo to help define her curl. Anyone have a favorite?

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD really likes the Not Your Mother’s shampoo and conditioner for curly hair. Every couple of
    weeks she uses neutrogena’s clarifying shampoo.

I really like the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine line.

Both of us have fine but curly hair, and the drug store stuff works better than salon lines for curly hair for us. Those with more traditional? curly hair often like Deva products or other more salon lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Best shampoo for curly hair

Following.

What does everyone put in their hair (or their kid’s hair) if they shower and night and sleep on the semi-wet curls and wake up with really crazy hair? DS2 has long curly hair and I’m at a loss for now to handle it. His hair is half way down his back when wet. I do cut his bangs since he won’t wear a headband and the curls just go into his face.

Here is what it looks like before he sleeps on the curls.

And after he wakes up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 05-15-2022 at 12:18 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I rarely use shampoo (maybe every 2w?), but I do like this line quite a bit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MZLCGLN It is very gentle. I did just try a shampoo bar last night that I actually like. It would be more to strip products off but it rinsed very well without being too drying. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MQ642DW

For me, the trick to curly hair is to detangle when in the shower with conditioner. Then carefully blot dry without any friction and not to touch it again. If you have to sleep on it, I use a silk or satin pillowcase (or a sleeping cap) to refresh curls the next am, wet hair with water and conditioner, comb and then leave it alone.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My boys and I love the Curls Blueberry Bliss line. The shampoo (Reparative Hair Wash) is amazing, it's actually detangling. The leave in conditioner is great too.
    https://curls.com/collections/blueberry-bliss

We all have satin pillowcases and DS1 uses a satin sleeping cap as well.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Each person's curls are so different. Some like protein, some (like mine) don't. Some like dimethicone, some (like mine) don't. Some like oils, some don't. It depends on hardness of the water, humidity in the air, etc. My hair is very very thick, wiry, coarse, and I have a ton of it. I wash 2x per week with sulfate free shampoo (my favorite right now is Orlando Pita Argan oil shampoo) then condition with Kirkland moisturizing conditioner. I comb through with conditioner on, then comb through a second time just after rinsing out the conditioner. Then I gather it in a twist at my nape and wrap in a turbi twist while I get dressed and do my makeup. I then use the turbi twist to scrunch up the ends a little before applying gel and diffusing. I used Biolage Gelee for over 20 years and suddenly my hair didn't like it so I switched to Jason flaxseed gel which my hair is loving. I touch it as little as possible- I have a very loose fabric headband that I put on to set my hair where I want it as it dries-even with diffusing it's wet for several hours afterward. I used to have to touch up on the morning with a little bit of watered down Biolage Gelee but with the flaxseed gel I haven't had to do much to touch up. I sleep with a silk scrunchie holding my hair up in a pony on top of my head. For me the key is that the gel is water soluble so the shampooing is effective but not stripping. I also don't work out or sweat a lot so I can go 3-4 days without washing it. I always wash in the morning or early afternoon because if I slept with wet or damp hair it would be a tangled frizzy mess in the morning.

ETA my hair also does not like leave in conditioner. It took me over 20 years of hating my hair to find what works.
    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 05-16-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)