Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hair help

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Hair help

My hair is thin, but coarse and a bit wavy. Definitely not stick straight. I have enough strands that I don't have bare spots or anything but each one is quite thin as compared to other people's hair, my ponytail is not that thick. It breaks easily. I'm way overdue for a haircut. I also color my hair, though I usually just do the roots. My hair has always been like this - it's nothing new, just bugging me at this moment.

I have a ton of flyaways, broken pieces around my face, even though I use the gentlest elastics I can find if I put my hair up for exercise. Otherwise it's in a Ficcare clip so it's not pulling. Still, so much breaking and flyaways.

I wash my hair usually once every 4-6 days, but I only wash the scalp not the ends. I blow it out with a Revlon brush dryer.

I've tried all kids of frizz sprays and creams, nothing really seems to help.

I'd love to have shiny smooth hair.

What is the most efficacious thing to do? A new blowdryer? A different product? Keratin treatment? I don't know where to start and I hate throwing money at high end brands because they never really seemed to do anything in the past.
    Last edited by basil; 05-16-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Hair help

I would start out with a good haircut and I would probably have them color it as well and maintain it for both coloring and cutting for a good six months and see if that helps your hair growth.

Even though it is expensive I like Prose Shampoo and Conditioner (8 oz. of each is $23.80 so $46 for a set) and am using the last order from last year (I got two orders and then decided to cancel because the cost wasn’t worth it for me, but it is nice). I had been using Deva Curl for a few years prior but had to switch with their last formulation in 2020 (it gave me an itchy scalp), but will probably switch back to either Redken All Soft or Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo and Detangling Conditioner (I had used Biolage since high school and Redken since college and seemed to switch between the two brands).

Styling wise I use Bumble and Bumble Invisible Hair Oil heat styling protector before I blow dry or brush with a dryer brush.

I also like Moroccan Oil’s Hydrating Cream or Living Proof 5N1 styling cream (you put these on prior to blow drying). For a hair mask I like the Moroccan Oil Weightless Hydrating Mask. Briogeo is okay as well but I like the Moroccan Oil better.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-16-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know a couple of people who are doing at home keratin treatments using this product. One has been using it for a while and the other tried it based on the first persons recommendation. It might be a good way to try keratin without going to a salon. You do have to flat iron your hair.

https://www.keratinsalondirect.com/p...YaAiQ_EALw_wcB
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I would start out with a good haircut and I would probably have them color it as well and maintain it for both coloring and cutting for a good six months and see if that helps your hair growth.

Even though it is expensive I like Prose Shampoo and Conditioner (8 oz. of each is $23.80 so $46 for a set) and am using the last order from last year (I got two orders and then decided to cancel because the cost wasn’t worth it for me, but it is nice). I had been using Deva Curl for a few years prior but had to switch with their last formulation in 2020 (it gave me an itchy scalp), but will probably switch back to either Redken All Soft or Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo and Detangling Conditioner (I had used Biolage since high school and Redken since college and seemed to switch between the two brands).

Styling wise I use Bumble and Bumble Invisible Hair Oil heat styling protector before I blow dry or brush with a dryer brush.

I also like Moroccan Oil’s Hydrating Cream or Living Proof 5N1 styling cream (you put these on prior to blow drying). For a hair mask I like the Moroccan Oil Weightless Hydrating Mask. Briogeo is okay as well but I like the Moroccan Oil better.
    Does the Moroccan oil have a lot of scent? I'm very sensitive to scents and am having trouble finding something with less.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely start with a great hairdresser and get ideas from there. I also think the Revlon dryer can be really hot and damaging…so if your hair tends to go that way, I’d get something else. Heat protection is really important too if you are blowdrying (which I always do).

My favorite product for my hair and frizz/humidity is this one. I wash my hair more frequently, but it lasts about 3-4 washes for me. I drench my hair with it, dry it straight and flat iron it. It works in our high humidity so that is huge. It doesn’t stop my hair from waving a bit, but I tend to dry it to be wavy anyway when I am not using this product(using the Dyson Airwrap round brush).
    https://colorwowhair.com/products/dr...rizz-treatment
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Yes, Pre-COVID I used to get my hair colored/highlighted/cut at a salon but it was really pricey and even more inconvenient. I like coloring it at home now, but I ought to get it cut more often. I lost my stylist during the pandemic too, but I never really liked her that much anyway.

I still had the above problems with breaking and frizz and flyaways though..so not sure a haircut will improve that.

ANyone used this K-18 (https://www.k18hair.com/products/lea...r-mask-50-ml-1) or Olaplex system? Does it really work?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Default Hair help

I use Olaplex 3 for DD2 and it works for her even though her hair is usually an oily mess (blaming puberty and hair changes). I used it on myself and the results were so so. I honestly didn’t feel like it did anything. We do it about once every two weeks and then she follows with a shampoo (Redken Frizz Dismiss, Redken Clarifying or Unite 7 Seconds).

For myself I tried the ColorWow for curly hair (my hair is more wavy than curly and isn’t color treated) and found it to be a so so product as well. I didn’t think it cut down too much on the frizz and I honestly felt like it weighs down my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-16-2022 at 07:48 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

After doing nothing for an entire year (2020), I cut my long hair off so that it was about chin length at the longest. Then I spent all of 2021 trying to grow my very fine flyaway-prone hair back out. I started taking Hair Skin and Nails with Biotin and collagen (they are tasty gummies you can get anywhere) and I do think it has helped my hair grow and strengthen and maybe even thicken a bit.
    My other somewhat recent purchase has been Living Proof’s 5-1 Perfect Hair Day styling treatment. It does help my hair stay smoother, I think.

I'm not sure if my hair is actually damaged or just that way to start with. I mean, in my high school photos, it is frizzy/flyaway just as much as it is now, and back then all I did was air dry it. So would the damage products actually do anything? I did ask my old stylist about this problem, and she just sold me some $65 bottle of leave in conditioner that didn't do anything more than a drug store brand.

Has anyone tried the new version of the Revlon drying brush? It's supposed to have more heat settings. Not sure if it would make a difference though. https://www.ulta.com/p/one-step-volu...hoCGwEQAvD_BwE
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Default Hair help

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Does the Moroccan oil have a lot of scent? I'm very sensitive to scents and am having trouble finding something with less.
    Yes it has a bit of a tropical scent. I like it but if you are having scent issues it maybe too much for you. I find that Redken scents are very faint and I don’t notice them as well. I have never used their masks though so I have no comment on those. Also the Living Proof 5 N 1 cream (and the PhD Overnight Protector) have zero to no scent.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I'm not sure if my hair is actually damaged or just that way to start with. I mean, in my high school photos, it is frizzy/flyaway just as much as it is now, and back then all I did was air dry it. So would the damage products actually do anything? I did ask my old stylist about this problem, and she just sold me some $65 bottle of leave in conditioner that didn't do anything more than a drug store brand.

Has anyone tried the new version of the Revlon drying brush? It's supposed to have more heat settings. Not sure if it would make a difference though. http://://www.ulta.com/p/one-step-vo...hoCGwEQAvD_BwE
    I had a mess of frizzy hair in high school as well and it was thick vs. thin but Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo and Detangling Solution were game changers for me. If you want more volume you can try their volume line. The best thing about them is that they are reasonably priced for salon products. Same with Redken, and Paul Mitchell. I buy my shampoo in liters most times though because it is so much cheaper (and a liter lasts a good year). If you buy it at Ulta and you hate it as long as no more than a 1/3rd of the bottle is gone then you can return it for a full refund. I also really like Aveda shampoos (less the Shampure line….that is too much for my hair…..I like the Smoothing, and Be Curly lines the best) and conditioners but they are more expensive. Aveda is actually having a 25% off sale right now. They definitely have an earthy scent to them that may not be for everyone. Their Phomolient mousse is another favorite that I usually have on hand.

I will give one more plug for quality shampoo/conditioner. Pre Covid I used a blow dryer on my hair almost daily or every two days and my stylists never once commented that my hair was unhealthy and breakage was always at a minimum. I have really thick hair too so when my hair was at it’s longest (mid back) it would take 20 minutes to dry with a blow dryer on high heat (but low speed setting…..why a variable speed dryer is so important). I never used a heat spray then either (I always felt that they weighed down my hair….I got the Bumble and Bumble last summer as the Ulta Bday gift and surprisingly I really liked it!)

Tbh I would probably lay off the heat for awhile and see if it repairs itself. I would also opt for a professional keratin or Brazilian Blowout from a salon first before trying it at home. That and a good cut might be all you need. (I have never colored my hair so I can’t comment on hair color at home vs. a salon but my gut would be to professionally have it done at least once and see if you notice a difference).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-18-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast