Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Any recent info about length of effectiveness of 2nd booster?

Now that more folks are getting a second booster of MRNA vaccines, has anyone seen reliable info about how long these maintain their effectiveness? I was surprised that I couldn’t find this on the CDC site, although there was a lot of info about various conditions that should encourage people to get a second booster as soon as possible.

I got my second Moderna booster in late April, as soon as available. DC (age 50) just got a second Pfizer booster two days ago — today, coworkers were saying they had read that second booster maintain peak effectiveness for only 4 to 8 weeks. (Since we both had unpleasant side effects, that was particularly discouraging!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll see if I can find it. I just read something that with the current omicron strain the Pfizer booster effectiveness is only a few weeks.

Here it is: https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...h=50b730fe32af
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I'll see if I can find it. I just read something that with the current omicron strain the Pfizer booster effectiveness is only a few weeks.

Wow - seems pointless to get a second booster. Wondering if the Moderna boosters stack up the same.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Wow - seems pointless to get a second booster. Wondering if the Moderna boosters stack up the same.
    Carefully timed these are a super useful tool for travel, busy times of life, local transmission waves, or planning a visit to someone who is unvaccinated (too young or such) or immune compromised.

They still reduce death risk 78% vs one booster. The gains get smaller as the risk drops with each booster- but still worth it to me.

My immunity is dropping (IgG a third of what it was) but I am too young for another booster. I would love to be able to get one- reducing long Covid risk is also something I see of value, and boosters likely help with that too.

ETA- if the federal funding runs out and boosters become a commodity, that is something to consider as well. Hard to say what will happen.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 05-17-2022 at 04:08 PM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post

Thanks! That definitely looks like what DC's coworkers read. Kind of discouraging though

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Carefully timed these are a super useful tool for travel, busy times of life, local transmission waves, or planning a visit to someone who is unvaccinated (too young or such) or immune compromised.

They still reduce death risk 78% vs one booster. The gains get smaller as the risk drops with each booster- but still worth it to me.

My immunity is dropping (IgG a third of what it was) but I am too young for another booster. I would love to be able to get one- reducing long Covid risk is also something I see of value, and boosters likely help with that too.

ETA- if the federal funding runs out and boosters become a commodity, that is something to consider as well. Hard to say what will happen.
    You CAN get one. Immunocompromised CAN get the booster. DC got one a few weeks ago due to immunology!

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    You CAN get one. Immunocompromised CAN get the booster. DC got one a few weeks ago due to immunology!
    I am not immunocompromised that I know of. Just not holding immunity well compared to DH. We both were in a university study with blood tests. Neither of us appear to have had Covid yet- I probably had bad flu at the start of the pandemic. IgG was 8800 and probably down more since our test a month ago. His was 22k before his 2nd booster hit.

So a booster is not an option for me that I know of. Should I get it, if there was a scientific data based way of assigning booster ready status? Probably? Esp given a strong family history of autoimmune issues and how that plays into long Covid. But science seems to be back burnered now.

I got my second booster (over 50 and going on an overseas trip soon). No side effects besides a sore arm. I am sure I will have to get more shots as we go through all of this!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Thanks! That definitely looks like what DC's coworkers read. Kind of discouraging though

yeah - not the most encouraging. I now feel kinda bad...my parents were getting their second booster. They have been Team Moderna this whole time, so I suggested they get the Pfizer to diversify their protection. I hope it was not a bad suggestion.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got my 2nd booster last month (over 50) and since then I've been exposed to Covid four times that I know of, including someone in my home, and so far so good. I've never had it that I know of. I've had four shots of Moderna. DH also got boosted (also all Moderna) and he's also stayed healthy (he did have Covid in Jan 2021). I've been traveling a lot and I have had only mild reactions to the vaccines (one day of feeling off). DD, who is immune compromised and 19 got her second booster yesterday - she just got back home from college. Her GI doc recommended she go now that we are having another wave locally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast