Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Honestly I'm underwhelmed with even vaccinating the 5-11 presumably healthy crowd to begin with at this point now that the results are back from the first rounds. My kids got covid in between doses 1 and 2, but one of DS's friends got it only a month after his second dose. I get it was never advertised to prevent them from getting sick but the vast majority of kids have mild cases even without vaccines so I'm not convinced there is a point for healthy kids. (Obviously with those that are immunocompromised, etc. there is a point.) Two of my kids got the second dose about 8 weeks after covid (this winter), one of my kids still hasn't gotten the second dose, then there's my 3 yo.

I will probably get them boosters in the fall, hoping they combine them with flu shots or at least will do both at once. It took a LOT of convincing with DH to even vaccinate them to begin with and I feel like it was pretty pointless. Is moderna still coming up with a vax for 5-11? I would be more likely to booster them with that than another Pfizer.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

DD3 (12 years old) will be getting a booster in a couple of weeks, but only because she's just joined a trial. They're monitoring the kids closely for signs of myocarditis after vaccination.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ABC World News did a story last night on the 5-11 booster and the high likelihood of an updated booster and influenza shot come fall. DH and I think we will wait till then for DD2's booster. Given that our entire household has had covid in the past few months and have no big plans upcoming that would be upended by a reinfection.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Yeah - I'm also not sure. DD2 just turned 12 this Month, and got her initial 2 Pfizer 5-11 doses in nov/dec. But she also got Covid in Jan, right after her vaccines. Honestly, I wonder if the ped doses were adequate. DD1 and I did not get COVID when the youngest did. I guess in our experience, it suggests the adult boosters were helpful, the ped initial doses not so much (in preventing active infection...which i know is not the main goal).

So now that I think about it, I will probably get her boosted sometime, but not sure about timing. Would love a combo flu + covid thing, or maybe even an updated COVID that includes current variants?

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Yeah - I'm also not sure. DD2 just turned 12 this Month, and got her initial 2 Pfizer 5-11 doses in nov/dec. But she also got Covid in Jan, right after her vaccines. Honestly, I wonder if the ped doses were adequate. DD1 and I did not get COVID when the youngest did. I guess in our experience, it suggests the adult boosters were helpful, the ped initial doses not so much (in preventing active infection...which i know is not the main goal).

So now that I think about it, I will probably get her boosted sometime, but not sure about timing. Would love a combo flu + covid thing, or maybe even an updated COVID that includes current variants?
    I asked about this during our last appointment. There are several trials going on now with different strains, but they didn't mention a combo. DD3 is getting a regular dose of the 12+ teen vaccine. Her first two were the 5-11, as she didn't turn 12 until a few weeks after the vaccine was approved for 5-11 and I didn't want to wait. I would definitely be on board with a combo as well.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I asked about this during our last appointment. There are several trials going on now with different strains, but they didn't mention a combo. DD3 is getting a regular dose of the 12+ teen vaccine. Her first two were the 5-11, as she didn't turn 12 until a few weeks after the vaccine was approved for 5-11 and I didn't want to wait. I would definitely be on board with a combo as well.
    same. i would rather her get the 12+ dose than another ped booster...and I guess that's our only option since she's now 12. I assume it will be considered a booster, and not shot 1 of 2... so still considered fully vaccinated.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if the ped doses were adequate. DD1 and I did not get COVID when the youngest did. I guess in our experience, it suggests the adult boosters were helpful, the ped initial doses not so much (in preventing active infection...which i know is not the main goal).

Same here. DD2 was fully vaxed by Xmas and then got COVID mid-feb. DH (boosted in Oct) me (boosted Dec), nor DD1 (boosted Jan) caught it from her. And yet, the 3 of us got it two months later when DD2 was still protected by natural immunity and the latest omicron variant was sweeping central NY (DD1 must've had omicron or the first omicron subvariant).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

There definitely seems to be a lot less buzz about the pediatric booster when compared to the initial rollout back in November. People were excitedly talking about making appointments on my social media back then, and I'm hearing crickets concerning the booster.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2