acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Self-care / mindfulness for teens?

My DD has been struggling with anxiety this year. She is working with a therapist and her doctor is looped in as well. Both have suggested various self-care / mindfulness activities and strategies to try, but she hasn't really given them much of a shot. Anyone have suggestions for getting teens to engage in this more or just try out a couple?

I so wish we had some kind of community center that provided these types of activities for teens...I'm guessing she would be so much more open to trying them if she was doing them or hearing about them from peers, instead of me!

My DD really enjoys the Finch app and finds it helpful.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

GSUSA has some great mental health resources right now:

(1) Resilient. Ready. Strong. patch activities (you do not need to be a Girl Scout to do the activities; you also do not need to earn the patch)

(2) Taking Charge of Your Well-Being "Campfire Chat" (for Adults)

(3) Mental Wellness and Inclusion resources and activities for girls and adults; includes links to the "Raising Awesome Girls" blog and information about Mental Health First Aid for Youth

If your DD is not already seeing a therapist or leaning on resources through her school, I know it's late in the year, but it's worth exploring options for next school year to ensure she's supported there as well as at home.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son had a speaker come to one of his gifted classes who is trained in mindfulness. This kid would balk at the idea of anything like this before. DH is very into using mindful/meditation apps to help with his ADHD and has always tried to talk to the kids into doing it with him, but DS1 never would. DS2 loves yoga. The speaker totally changed his mindset. He now uses an ap called Insight Timer that she suggested. She also gave me some other tips when I reached out to her for additional ideas that I can PM you if interested.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    My son had a speaker come to one of his gifted classes who is trained in mindfulness. This kid would balk at the idea of anything like this before. DH is very into using mindful/meditation apps to help with his ADHD and has always tried to talk to the kids into doing it with him, but DS1 never would. DS2 loves yoga. The speaker totally changed his mindset. He now uses an ap called Insight Timer that she suggested. She also gave me some other tips when I reached out to her for additional ideas that I can PM you if interested.
    I would love the extra tips if you don’t mind sharing.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I would love the tips - thank you!!