Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The logistics of race day are easy enough to figure out. I’m sure you can find volunteers, including yourself to man aid stations along the way. And maybe even friends to take turns running portions of the race with him. Adequate time for training is really what I would be concerned with. That said, aid stations and safety support will be issues for every long training run he needs to do between now and the race. If he needs to do a 15, 17, 19 and 21 mile run over the next 4 weeks he’ll need aid and support for those too. Not to mention the time commitment for those.

I would ask the coach what the training plan is because that will give you the best clue if this coach has actually thought that far ahead. I would probably not be comfortable with this, but I sure empathize with you not wanting to have to tell DS no. But I really think a marathon requires more deliberate training over time to prepare the body and avoid injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I decided to say no and already told him. Basically because I think it makes sense that there is not enough time to train, that I don't know the coaches would put the needed kind of thought into the training (and I am not going to take that on), that I think there is a lot of potential for injury given these other factors, and that ds does have a lot of other great things going on to focus on.

Thanks so much for all of your great input!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2