nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default PCR tests- How long are they useful?

So my mom started having mild cold symptoms last Th/Fri. Home test negative. Was feeling much better Sunday, took another test (negative), and went to church. Felt worse later that night(another test negative), but improved over the next few days. On Tuesday, her husband came home not feeling well and went straight to bed. Today my mom told me he’s positive. She’s guessing she gave it to him and her tests were false negatives. Would a PCR test today or tomorrow, a week after her symptoms started, still likely be positive despite her now being symptom free? I know they CAN stay positive for for weeks but do they TYPICALLY stay positive for a while past symptoms? If it weren’t for some other circumstances it wouldn’t matter much but she has a terminally ill sister and it would be really helpful to know that she’s had it and get the countdown started or if she had something else and is still likely to catch it from her husband in the days to come and needs to avoid travel longer.

We were supposed to go stay with her this weekend, but I changed my mind because cases here are high and I was worried we might bring it to her and I couldn’t risk being the cause of her not being able to travel to see her sister or attend her funeral.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, she ran and got a PCR test and it is negative. Does that mean she didn’t have COVID and might still catch it from her DH? Or that she might be recovered from it?

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Well, she ran and got a PCR test and it is negative. Does that mean she didn’t have COVID and might still catch it from her DH? Or that she might be recovered from it?

I would say she didn’t have COVID. PCR uses specifically designed primers to amplify small target sections of DNA (or RNA in this case) so even if the virus is clearing the tests often pick it up. It’s been less than seven days since start of symptoms and so I’d be surprised if she could test negative as PCR will pick up even degraded bits of RNA from an infection that is no longer active. It just doesn’t fit with the multiple days of symptoms less than a week ago. I’d say she had something else (so many things going around! Including terrible allergies) and absolutely could still catch it from her DH.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I don't think you know exactly what it means other than she's been negative on the PCR tests she's taken. My guess, though, is that she hasn't had COVID and she should be very careful about catching it from her DH.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I don't think you know exactly what it means other than she's been negative on the PCR tests she's taken. My guess, though, is that she hasn't had COVID and she should be very careful about catching it from her DH.
    I agree with this.
    Lizi

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I agree.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.