Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Opinions on Christian based therapist

DD is 13 and has been seeing her counselor at school for the last few months. She told the counselor she would like to have someone to talk to over the summer so the counselor sent me 3 recs of counselors she has worked with before that are close to us. Only 1 of the 3 is in-network for us. It is a practice with around 20 therapists. The one recommended has a psychology degree and is a licensed clinical mental health counselor and nationally certified counselor. On the practice webpage it says they are a Christian based practice and started as part of a church but now are separate. It says that all of their counselors are “committed Christians” but they welcome people of all faiths or no faith.

We are not religious and I see mental health as part of one’s overall health and don’t feel comfortable with religion being brought into it. My kids went to a Christian based preschool and I grew up going to church every Sunday. I just can’t decide if this is something I should be concerned about. I certainly want her therapy to come from a place of clinically proven techniques and maybe that still happens here but I don’t know what to think.

Any thoughts?

I am a therapist and I am a Christian. I see many people who do not share my faith. I don’t push my faith on others either. I am available to utilize the Bible or Christian principles if the client desires, but otherwise I utilize evidence based practices just like anyone else who shares my license.

We are Jewish. We had horrible mental health coverage. We live in a place that has one of the highest rates of therapists per capita in the US but no one took our insurance. My husband kept complaining about the amount being spent on out-of-network therapists. I decided to try the one therapist within 20 miles who was listed as accepting our insurance - at XXXX Christian Counseling. After we got there, we found out she didn't actually take it but we stayed because we had driven there. She told me when I talked to her on the phone that she would not need to invoke christianity as part of the therapy and it could just be secular therapy. However, the waiting room was filled with crosses and inspirational sayings from the bible. We only went there twice and my son never said anything about her bringing up christianity in a session but both of us felt uncomfortable with the general atmosphere. The primary reason we didn't go back was because she didn't take the insurance so it wasn't worth driving there, but I'm not sure I would have been comfortable there on a long term basis if she did take the insurance.

I know the school counselor gave you these three options, however, there may be other good options out there of therapists in your area who accept your insurance. You can ask people/friends in your area for suggestions, or the pediatrician, or go online and check out one of the therapist directories like Psychology Today. You can look for therapists by your zip code and then filter results by those who see adolescents, take your insurance, and even by issues.

Also, now the telehealth is more readily available, you also can access therapists who may not be in your immediate area but still in your state.

If you're not comfortable with the religious aspect of this practice, I'm sure there are other good choices.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My therapist is listed as Christian too but not once has she mentioned anything religious at all because I'm not asking her to. Like DietCokeLover said, it would be driven by the client.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A friend (who is very religious) recommended her therapist to me. The website mentioned faith-based. I went in to see her, purely based on the fact that I trust my friend. No signs of any religion anywhere and I asked on the first visit if religion would be part of her therapy. I was told not unless I wanted it to be. It has never been brought up and I actually sometimes question how religious my therapist is by some of her statements lol You could always call the office and ask how faith or religion plays a role in treatment.

It would be a hard no for me to see any health practitioner who advertised their faith and described themselves as being part of practice that identified with any faith. It’s a dog whistle.

Keep looking. There are other options.

There is probably a big difference between a therapist who is a Christian and one who uses their faith in their practice. I'd be willing to speak with the therapist and ask if/how they use it, but I'd have a low threshold for moving on.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That would be a hard pass for me, they advertise as Christian based.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We are not religious and I see mental health as part of one’s overall health and don’t feel comfortable with religion being brought into it.
    To me this says that this therapy group would not be a good fit for you. Especially as you say that you are not comfortable with religion being brought into mental health. Completely agree with others who state that being Christian and a therapist is different than advertising as a Christian based practice with all of the cousnselors being committed Christians. I know some have seen therapists who advertise as Christian counselors and they were able to keep religion out of it upon request. However, if you know that you don't want religion brought into therapy/mental health, I would encourage you to see someone who is clear that they don't do it (by not advertising in the way this agency is). To be clear, if this is what someone is seeking, than that would be a good fit for them.

I think you have already been given some options on how to find a different therapist, so I wont repeat them. Agree that if your child is willing to do telehealth that also opens up state-wide options. Best of luck in finding the best therapist for your child!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast