Thread: Monkey Pox!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Monkey Pox!

So here I am the other night on Med Twitter. (I know people think Twitter is garbage, but during the pandemic it’s enabled me to connect to other healthcare people on the ground in real time.) So I spend about an hour going through posts and threads about Monkey Pox. Some from researchers in the area. All very informative. Then as I am about to go down to sleep I check my work email one last time…
    MONKEY POX!!!!!
    Seriously. At my place of work. I-can’t-even…. At least me being old might help? I mean a I had to small pox vaccine. We do have a bunch of stored doses after 9/11. I had “global pandemic” on my post 2016 bingo card, among other things that have come to pass, but not the freaking pox. Now we have to get our act together to start screening people for the pox. THE POX!!!!
    If you know someone in healthcare send them a note, gift box, something. We are so done with this.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was just watching the World News and they were talking about Monkey Pox and places where it has been found, like here in NY. I just can’t imagine how you all in health care feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are exhausted...

Baby formula shortages are causing so many issues at our pediatric facilities as well.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You ("you" meaning you and "you" meaning healthcare workers) have had enough!!!! Sending you P&PT.
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So I was having a small panic yesterday because I got this weird bump on my finger. Now, I’ve read up on monkey pox last week so knew it wasn’t that- no other symptoms. But, weird bump…monkey pox…eek!
    Instead, it’s the spider bite I got 11 days ago swelling again. I got a pic of the spider, know it isn’t poisonous (jumping hunter spider) but my body often has weirdly delayed reactions to bug bites. Luckily I took a pic of the original bite so I am confident it’s the spider and not monkey pox.
    Hugs to all care providers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hard to imagine what might come next. P&PTs to health care workers, with gratitude from all of us who rely on you.

And one more thing we don’t need in these divisive times — this WaPo article mentions that, while monkey pox is rare, in some places cases have been concentrated among gay and bisexual men.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...nkeypox-alert/

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Hard to imagine what might come next. P&PTs to health care workers, with gratitude from all of us who rely on you.

And one more thing we don’t need in these divisive times — this WaPo article mentions that, while monkey pox is rare, in some places cases have been concentrated among gay and bisexual men.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...nkeypox-alert/

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Ugh, I heard that too and it brought me right back to the 1980s. So upsetting.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Ugh, I heard that too and it brought me right back to the 1980s. So upsetting.
    Same.

Also, with everything going on Covid shutdowns still in places like China there’s now a significant shortage of contrast dye. My friend who is a radiologist said it’s significant and people are likely to die due to cancelled and postponed tests. Another friend who lives in north country NY just had her CT and chest X-ray for tomorrow cancelled due to the shortage. She just finished treatment for uterine cancer and these were supposed to be baseline testing. Since it’s not considered diagnostic they cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are really struggling with contrast as well. So many drug shortage that are making headlines. This doesn't include all of the items that are flying under the radar.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Now it sounds like there is a lot of “chickenpox” in the Netherlands and other countries, beyond even the normal spring rise in cases, including 7 infection related deaths in the NL.

Disease experts are noting that in Africa, where it is seen more frequently, monkeypox is often misdiagnosed as chickenpox.