Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default adding a room to house?

where does one even start with this type of thing? DH and i are considering adding an additional room to our house. Never thought we would do it (DH hates this type of thing) and never done anything like this. We bought our house new 7 years ago. As it was being built we considered adding a 5th bedroom (bc we can literally see the space for it, and the model had 5th bedroom/4th bath option and it would have been only $10k to add it at the time) but we figured it was excessive and wouldn't need it.

Well now, especially with the pandemic and spending tons of time working from home and kids and DH both getting more into their musical instruments, we are seriously considering adding a room. We've completely given up on the idea of moving because the housing markets are just too insane. Our house is literally going for 50% more than what we bought it for, so no way we will find anything comparable for reasonable price.

Basically we want to add a room upstairs (no windows or a closet needed) for music practice. DS is really into the French horn. DD plays piano and will be doing violin next year, and DH plays violin as well. DH and DS are really into the whole electronics aspect of music as well, and online music community. Ideally we would sound-proof it to some extent but nothing super fancy. Our house has an open concept kind of layout so really the only places with doors are our bedrooms.

DH seems to think something like this would cost on $100k due to the construction. I think he's overestimating..our house is fairly new and plus there was literally already space there. But maybe not. Trying to get a sense of how involved this will be, and any words of advice!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is the space itself already built out as an attic space? If so, then estimate shouldn't be as high.
    Would you do a 2 story addition to expand the first floor under where this new room is expected to be?

$100K is probably a good ballpark especially for 2 stories, foundation etc. and your property taxes will increase!

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No btdt, but I would add a window and closet so it can qualify as a bedroom when you ultimately sell.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    No btdt, but I would add a window and closet so it can qualify as a bedroom when you ultimately sell.
    100%. If you’re spending that kind of money, think resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Double the time, double the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    Is the space itself already built out as an attic space? If so, then estimate shouldn't be as high.
    Would you do a 2 story addition to expand the first floor under where this new room is expected to be?

$100K is probably a good ballpark especially for 2 stories, foundation etc. and your property taxes will increase!
    great questions! the space is already built out as an attic space. Actually, i distinctly remember when it was being built, it actually looked like a bedroom was supposed to go there, and i was surprised it was just going to be all attic space (seemed like such a waste!). But it's probably intentional, because having a bedroom there was a ready option in the model we bought..so likely intentionally "modular" depending on whether that room was going to built out or not. This space is above formal dining and study on the first floor..
    So no need to expand the first floor under where this room will be. that's actually the only reason we'd consider it, as it doesn't appear to be that complicated, seems like just converting attic space to an actual room.

if it really would be around $100k though, i can't i magine going through with it . there are a MILLION other things i'd rather have with that money, than a music room. LOL. Doesn't seem worth it at all. Can you tell i'm not used to spend any $$ on our house? Haha. And kids will be out of the house in 6-7 years (one maybe even in 4)...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-22-2022 at 08:35 PM.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Yes, think resale.

I’m not sure if your home is a ranch or two story level house. Where the specs showed 5th room out in model house? If it’s building up (aka to make 2 story) or building out from excising foundation? That makes a difference on your estimate and 100K makes sense for the building up from scratch.

Our house was build as 5 bedroom/2.5 bath home when we bought it. All 4 bedrooms are upstairs while 5th with windows and closets is downstairs is our home office. I would 100 percent make that 5th room into a “bedroom” with windows and a closet. More resale value when it’s billed as a true bedroom vs. a room.

We already have existing walk up attic that isn’t finished. Our estimates for that is 80K just to finish it with proofing the room, insulation, heating, AC, and making existing windows bigger with closets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    great questions! the space is already built out as an attic space. Actually, i distinctly remember when it was being built, it actually looked like a bedroom was supposed to go there, and i was surprised it was just going to be all attic space. this space is above formal dining and study.
    So no need to expand the first floor under where this room will be. that's actually the only reason we'd consider it, as it doesn't appear to be that complicated..

if it really would be $100k, i can't i magine going through with it though. there's a MILLION other things i'd rather have with that money, than a music room. LOL. that just seems so ridiculous and not worth it. Can you tell i'm not used to spend any $$ on our house? And kids will be out of the house in 6-7 years (maybe even in 4)...
    Ohhhhh that'll be ALOT cheaper. ALOT.

We did an addition 3 years ago that cost roughly $120K, but it was 499sf, 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom on a second floor. Your remodel seems like it would cost less, although I think building supply costs have increased significantly in the past few years. I'd definitely pay for a window and a closet, it shouldn't add much to the overall budget.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast