Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default WWYD?: dental hygienist no longer in network

After my recent dental hygienist visit I was told my insurance is no longer in network. The practice had apparently emailed all impacted patients 6 months ago. I don't seem to have received an email although I get all their other emails including weather related closures etc.

They recently tried to charge me for a "late cancellation". Their cancellation policy states 24 hours and I had given them 1 week's notice. After speaking with a receptionist who acted like she was doing me a huge favor, I had this charge canceled.

The out of network fee my insurance covers is about half of what the practice charges. I feel blindsided. Part of me just wants to move on from this practice and consider this a part of life etc. Part of me wonders if I have a voice in this at all. WWYD?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Did you double check your spam, junk, promotions…folders? I have people whose email lands in multiple folders. No guarantee that it’ll actually hit my inbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would find another practice. I am partial to our dentists, but the hygienist I don't feel strongly about. Our visits are billed under the dentist, though, not the hygienist.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would move on and fight any charges they try to pin on you for your recent visit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I would find another practice. I am partial to our dentists, but the hygienist I don't feel strongly about. Our visits are billed under the dentist, though, not the hygienist.
    This is what I'm thinking. Not all hygienists are excellent but I'm sure you can find a good one that is in network and more reasonable about cancellation charges, etc.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh, and I would totally switch practices too.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would switch practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Time to move on to somewhere else!

When a former neighbor asked for recommendations in our neighborhood fb group, she was flooded with suggestions.
    K

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all. Switching practices was my gut feeling too. Looks like I need to suck up and pay for this visit as they charged. I got a "too bad, not my problem" response when I appealed. Not a good feeling but at least I tried. I tend to be non-confrontational to the point of not trying to appeal. Anyways, thanks for listening.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Since they are not willing to work with you I would definitely switch. If you have an FSA or HSA you could submit the claims for reimbursement for the portion your insurance didn’t cover.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast