Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Well, I worked in a trauma unit when our state passed the new juvenile license rules that prohibited new drivers from driving unrelated minors. I used to know when the weather got nice because there would be a car full of kids, an accident, a few dead, a few permanently injured in our unit, and some living the rest of their lives with the guilt. People would be, oh, they shouldn’t drink and drive. But they had heard the message. Most of it was just speed, distraction and being an inexperience drive. Once the law passed that stopped. No more car full of 5 kids slamming into a tree. Maybe a guy and one friend or a girlfriend or something. The affect was immediate. Such a small thing that saved so many lives and prevented so much pain.

Having said that my kid would not be able to drive for a year. I probably wouldn’t talk to them for a week and my husband would have to intervene. I would be so angry at them given the pain and suffering I’ve seen for them to do that. They know what I done for work. I’ve been pretty clear what would happen if I ever saw them without a seatbelt.
I can’t even imagine what you saw. Dh had a friend from high school die in a car accident during his senior year; the year before another set of two high school kids were driving on a rural road and tried to avoid an accident and rolled the car into a ditch. Both survived but the passenger was paralyzed from the waist down. A class mate of mine was driving back to school from his parents house in the country (our school was in town) one day at lunch (or after an appointment or something) in the rain and hit a wet spot and lost control of his car and killed another person because they careened head on. He was lucky he wasn’t injured more than he was but he lives the guilt of the accident and has for almost 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
Yes it’s difficult to follow and enforce a law that no one else is following, but you know it’s the right thing to do. Same as would you jump off the cliff too because everyone else is doing it? If peer pressure is an issue, have her blame you. We took a friend of DS’ with us bike riding and DS told his friend he will have to wear a helmet if he comes because of my work, it’s the family rule, so DS just puts it on me and I am OK with that.
……….

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
Yes DH references the “your friends are jumping off a bridge, would you?” analogy all of the time. Yes I have no problem telling DD1’s friends that my rules are their rules when they are with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk