Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What would your punishment for this offense be? Teen driving related.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Well, I worked in a trauma unit when our state passed the new juvenile license rules that prohibited new drivers from driving unrelated minors. I used to know when the weather got nice because there would be a car full of kids, an accident, a few dead, a few permanently injured in our unit, and some living the rest of their lives with the guilt. People would be, oh, they shouldn’t drink and drive. But they had heard the message. Most of it was just speed, distraction and being an inexperience drive. Once the law passed that stopped. No more car full of 5 kids slamming into a tree. Maybe a guy and one friend or a girlfriend or something. The affect was immediate. Such a small thing that saved so many lives and prevented so much pain.

Having said that my kid would not be able to drive for a year. I probably wouldn’t talk to them for a week and my husband would have to intervene. I would be so angry at them given the pain and suffering I’ve seen for them to do that. They know what I done for work. I’ve been pretty clear what would happen if I ever saw them without a seatbelt.
    I can’t even imagine what you saw. Dh had a friend from high school die in a car accident during his senior year; the year before another set of two high school kids were driving on a rural road and tried to avoid an accident and rolled the car into a ditch. Both survived but the passenger was paralyzed from the waist down. A class mate of mine was driving back to school from his parents house in the country (our school was in town) one day at lunch (or after an appointment or something) in the rain and hit a wet spot and lost control of his car and killed another person because they careened head on. He was lucky he wasn’t injured more than he was but he lives the guilt of the accident and has for almost 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Yes it’s difficult to follow and enforce a law that no one else is following, but you know it’s the right thing to do. Same as would you jump off the cliff too because everyone else is doing it? If peer pressure is an issue, have her blame you. We took a friend of DS’ with us bike riding and DS told his friend he will have to wear a helmet if he comes because of my work, it’s the family rule, so DS just puts it on me and I am OK with that.
    ……….

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes DH references the “your friends are jumping off a bridge, would you?” analogy all of the time. Yes I have no problem telling DD1’s friends that my rules are their rules when they are with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I also agree with the law and we have it here. It was passed for a reason. Kids don’t need distractions when they are trying to drive. I’d be serious about the punishment.

However, if this were my child, I’d take other things away from them as punishment. I think it’s important that they continue driving everyday because it’s how they practice and get better. Driving to school every day is the same route so pretty easy (not trying to read street signs, familiar route) but it still gives them a chance to react to other drivers and handling the car.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would not take away driving as a punishment, but I might take away solo driving privileges.
    We are trying to get DD as much driving experience as possible before she leaves for college this fall. It hasn't been easy, but I'm making her drive me on just about any errand possible.

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I 100% agree with this law!!! Distraction is a huge problem for teen drivers. We enforced this rule for both kids. I would say no driving for several days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree with this, I would withhold car privileges for a week.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I also agree with a week or more of no driving anywhere except school (unless absolutely necessary, like you can't drive somewhere). I try to reinforce with my kids that we don't have to like or agree with any laws or rules, but we must respect them. I don't cherry pick which ones I agree with ...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds like she knew it was a rule, and broke it anyway? What do you usually do to punish for a deliberately broken rule?

A talk about all the driving rules seams in order, as well, as this was a very short time to have a licence and already breaking rules.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also talk about the legal issues, she could lose her license, or receive a $200 fine here in my state.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3