daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Elementary school graduation

DD is graduating from elementary school ( 6th grade) this year. Due to school politics / covid etc, they arent having all the fanfare they would have normally had.

Any ideas on what we can give her to make her feel special? DH wants to give her an apple watch. I feel like thats too much. She has the garmin vivofit jr.

She has a phone that we let her use when she walks home alone or when we drop her off at friend's places- its an iphone, but no data plan.

She loves baking, reading, swimming , singing etc
    I want to give her something that would make her feel like a big kid .. but.. what?

ideas?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots of parents I know gave their kids their first smartphone at 5th grade culmination. For us, we never did gifts for elementary culmination. Dinner and dessert out with family and that's it.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How about flowers, a dinner out, and a new cookbook to try new recipes for the summer? That's what I'd do.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We didn’t do any gifts but we took him out to eat at the restaurant of his choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We also didn't do anything big with gifts but took him out for teppanyaki so it was like dinner plus a show.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

We didn’t do anything for either kid (granted DS1 finished elementary during spring 2020, so no one was doing anything ). Our school didn’t do any sort of graduation either.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Our school does a clap out on their last day. Then we always had an ice cream social with neighbors. Squirt guns, games, etc depending on ages and weather. I don't know anyone here who does a gift for finishing elementary, so I don't have ideas.
    Kris

Likely no gifts here. We're going to do dinner and dessert at a kitschy steakhouse restaurant about 30 min away known for it's giant pieces of cake I perform there once a week and the kids have never gotten to go b/c it's too much for a school night so we'll go the last day of school. Our school is doing a field trip to a public pool and a 'field day' after the grad ceremony.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When DD finished elementary (5th grade here) we signed her out of school early (after the promotion ceremony) & treated her to lunch from Panera (which she loves) at her grandparents' house, but we didn't do anything bigger than that.

Normally, 5th graders would have a special field trip, dance, and run Field Day for the younger students, but none of that happened last year.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did lunch out with friends for my oldest. My youngest didn’t get anything due to Covid. We’re planning the same for finishing middle school. No gifts.