Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    It would also be great if a troubled 18 year old didn't have access to a gun, but sure locks are a good start.
    Yes to that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Absolutely awful. My kids have always gone to school with locked entrances; even the public schools in our old city had them and I am pretty sure the ones in our current district have them. I thought that would be standard by now. Something as simple as that could’ve prevented senseless tragedies like this one.

All of my childrens schools have locked entrances. And each time I have to wait to get buzzed in, I think about if someone had an AR15, they could easily get inside. I think that is what happened in Newtown, he shot though the doors. So unless schools go full on prison mode (locked doors with bullet proof glass for every window and door, metal detectors, teachers with guns or many armed security guards, tall fences around the school yards), it’s time to think about the external factors (gun access and control, mental health care, mandated reporting for threats of violence, etc)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I remember after Sandy Hook a discussion on this board about whether to tell our children about it (mine were 9 and 6). I did tell them as I wanted them to hear from someone they trusted and be able to ask questions. I kept the TV off for a few days to reduce the chance of them seeing the endless reports. They brought up that talk we had and told me that they knew I would always do my best to protect them but that they remember how sad I was that day (DD had written a nice note to me on Mother's Day).

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Another elementary school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    All of my childrens schools have locked entrances. And each time I have to wait to get buzzed in, I think about if someone had an AR15, they could easily get inside. I think that is what happened in Newtown, he shot though the doors. So unless schools go full on prison mode (locked doors with bullet proof glass for every window and door, metal detectors, teachers with guns or many armed security guards, tall fences around the school yards), it’s time to think about the external factors (gun access and control, mental health care, mandated reporting for threats of violence, etc)
    Fox News, and Dallas NBC channel 5 says the death toll is up to 18 as of 30 minutes ago. CNN is still saying 15 dead. No matter what it is 14 or 18 too many.

Very well said. I don’t know what the school security measures are at the school is so I probably shouldn’t have made the comment I did but it was truly the first thing that came to mind. I am beyond saddened by this like the rest of the nation. There has to be a solution for this but sadly there isn’t. 40 something people have been killed by gun violence in three instances in the last week and a half that have made the news (Tops-Buffalo, church shooting-Orange County, CA and now this). I am sure there are more smaller incidents that haven’t made the news as well.

My children were 6 and 2 when Sandy Hook happened. Those first graders were the same age as DD1. I think I eventually told her what happened, but I don’t recall when or how it came up. I am sure it will come up with the girls at some point again soon. We don’t regularly watch the news at home.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-24-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I deleted the rest of my post because I am too angry right now.

All Americans are just sitting ducks right now. I am so angry at our country and our leaders.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Things changed a lot here after Parkland. All schools in our county are enclosed in ? 8 ft fencing all class room doors are closed during instruction you can walk into the schools but after you speak with the receptionist through glass you have to be buzzed in all schools have at least 1 armed officer most are early retired police officers or former military police They have active shooter drills as often as fire drills. When gates are close during the day if they are opened alarms go off in the office and cameras all over.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

So horrible. I don't know how we keep doing this. How to keep sending kids to school hoping they'll come home again. How to talk to them about yet another shooting. I've been crying all afternoon. Something has to change, but I know it won't.

Our schools have Night Locks on all doors. They saved lives. They also have ALICE drills and know what to put in front of doors as barricades and how to arm themselves and when to run and when to hide.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I remember after Sandy Hook a discussion on this board about whether to tell our children about it (mine were 9 and 6). I did tell them as I wanted them to hear from someone they trusted and be able to ask questions. I kept the TV off for a few days to reduce the chance of them seeing the endless reports. They brought up that talk we had and told me that they knew I would always do my best to protect them but that they remember how sad I was that day (DD had written a nice note to me on Mother's Day).
    Thank you for this.

My oldest two were babies during Sandy Hook so we were able to avoid discussing it but now they are in 5th,3rd,and K and I don't even know what to say but I also don't want them to hear about it first at school tomorrow.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Things changed a lot here after Parkland. All schools in our county are enclosed in ? 8 ft fencing all class room doors are closed during instruction you can walk into the schools but after you speak with the receptionist through glass you have to be buzzed in all schools have at least 1 armed officer most are early retired police officers or former military police They have active shooter drills as often as fire drills. When gates are close during the day if they are opened alarms go off in the office and cameras all over.
    This makes me so sad. Our children's schools should not have to be like this.
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
    This makes me so sad. Our children's schools should not have to be like this.
    I said something similar to DH tonight. My kids have grown up practicing ALICE drills like I used to practice fire drills in school. My daughter has had I don’t know how many lockdowns in high school this year, I’ve lost count. They occasionally have metal detectors from the police set up at entrances to check for weapons if there has been local violence. And this is the norm for these kids. We don’t live in the inner city, our district isn’t huge. But as we have seen, this can happen anywhere.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast