Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No ranking in middle school. There is no ranking in high school either and they also got rid of weighted GPAs recently too.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

No, not for MS. I'm not sure about HS either. Our high school had a top 10 for seniors (numbers 1-10, not %), top 11 for juniors, top 12 for sophomores, and top 13 for freshmen.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, haven't heard of that. Too late now but in that scenario I'd probably get Grandma to take my kid out for something fun! As a teacher I especially hate it when my fellow educators who choose (and it's absolutely a choice) not to be flexible or accomodating to students who've been sick.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No ranking in middle school for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We would have skipped out on school, in that case! That's a really poor program.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We would have skipped out on school, in that case! That's a really poor program.
    Yes, we would have opted out of school for the day.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No ranking in Middle school and even at the high school they won't release rank standing until fall of senior year. For middle school our school gives award for A honor roll, A/B honor roll, and each teacher gives a highest average award to the kid that has the highest average of the classes they teach (not each individual class, but if the teacher teaches 2 sections of general math and 3 sections of accelerated math then they would give 2 awards). Each teacher also gives what the school calls a "Mav award." Each teacher can give an award to the kid they think worked the hardest or had the best attitude or was always helpful. Basically each teacher gets to recognize a kids that may not make the best grades but contribute to the school and classroom in other ways.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No DS 3 school didn’t do class Rank at all
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. I'm so sorry you are navigating that.

Our school is high ranking, very Type-A parents and kids but we absolutely do NOT have that at the MS level. If you have mainly A's (self-identified), you can go get a pin from the counselling office after the last day of school.

It's different, and very high stress / high stakes at HS - but the MS is very laid back.

Our middle school just has high honor roll (A honor roll) and honor roll (A/B honor roll). I know they have an awards ceremony at the end of the year that you are invited to if you made high honor roll for the first three quarters. I’m not sure what awards they give out there but I know my high honor roll kiddo is already stressed about it. I’ve tried to tell her that I, who went to a top 10 LA college and got a Ph.D. from a top 5 program was never a straight A student but she’s so stressed at the possibility of receiving a B+ in quarter 4. I’m glad she’s working hard, but I do think we could find a better balance. I do encourage you to find a way to make peace with the grade rather than focus on why it happened or what could have been different. There will be more poor grades and the number of college students I had who seemed to think every quiz was the difference between med school and flipping burgers… they could have used some help putting things in perspective earlier!
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast