Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help me feed a small crowd with a minimum of work

I'm hosting a faculty-student mixer for our special interest group at our medical school next week. Format of this event is the students will contribute some apps/desserts and the faculty host (me) will provide something(s) for a main course. Probably ~20-25 people total... when we hosted pre-Covid I think I had around 40 but I think fewer people in person this time around.

I don't have a ton of time to prepare (it will be a Friday evening after work & I don't have much time on the preceding days) so need something that I can either buy already made or make ahead of time to reheat. Last time I did baked penne, meatballs, salad, rolls. I could do that again but baked penne feels like a fall/winter dish to me.

I'd like to have a meat and non-meat option to cover multiple bases.

Ideas?
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you have a Costco nearby? They have a ton of heat and serve options or you could get a cold sandwich platter, with salad and fruit.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Do you have a Costco nearby? They have a ton of heat and serve options or you could get a cold sandwich platter, with salad and fruit.
    I do! Any specific suggestions for heat and serve? I don't usually shop that section and TBH I find it overwhelming, would love to have a plan before going in so I can grab and go.

I second Costco option. Or even your local grocery store?

Wegmans have a catering department with platters of chicken wings, sandwiches, sushi, Asian theme, or salad with seafood options for more than 10-15 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Their mac and cheese is tasty, the chicken pot pies are good. You could get the chicken salad and croissants, and a fruit tray or salad.

Really so many of their options are delicious!
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think they are often different at different Costcos, and may vary by season/whim. We have had the Mac and cheese, chicken penne Alfredo, enchilada casserole, and probably some others I'm not thinking of. They are easy to prepare - just take off the plastic and heat in the oven. For my big family I love their big shrimp tray, but IDK with med students. If yours are anything like mine, food is food and they don't care too much Ordering pizzas or take out from some local restaurant may be the easiest simplest way to go.

ETA the bags of Caesar salad at our Costco are big, and good, and everyone seems to like Caesar salad. I'd definitely get 2-3 bags of that for a side.
    Last edited by basil; 05-27-2022 at 06:51 PM.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Around here there are a few caterers who will provide a large "family style" meal w/out individual plating, etc., you just pick it up. I did that for DH's 40's for about 50 people and it was so helpful, a giant salad and a main course and fairly affordable. I think there are likely only more places offering these services since the pandemic.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the idea of chicken salad and mac and cheese. Easy and delicious. You could request a couple bring fruit/fruit salads, a couple bring green salads, and a few desserts. Perfect
    K

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would probably do Panera. It’s less work imo than Costco. Or if you have chicken salad chick that’s great for spring! I’m sure there are also local restaurants near you that will do catering including all the set up and delivery.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Thanks! No Wegmans here and last time I looked at the local grocery stores' catering options I really didn't like what they had. I had thought local caterers would be too expensive but will check out the family style idea. We do have a Panera here and I will check that out too.

Though now I'm thinking I could make either shredded pork or shredded beef with rolls-- easy enough to make the meat ahead in a crockpot. Bean salad or baked beans as a side/veggie option. Could also do a pan or 2 of the Costco Mac and cheese... I think that one is universal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast