Default Bedroom makeover for tween

DS1’s birthday is coming up and he wants a room makeover. We’re getting him few prints canvas, soccer lamp, and LED strip lights so far.

this chair as well

https://www.pbteen.com/products/ligh...ir&irpid=10078

Any other ideas? The room is baby blue color and white, he loves soccer, travel, comics, and gaming. We won’t be having any tv’s, devices or gaming system in his room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just moved and I let my son choose some new things for his room. I was so surprised by the rug he chose - nothing I would've picked. Ruggable has some cute stuff!

Maybe some cool shelving for his soccer trophies?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’ve taken the kids to ikea at that age and let them have fun picking stuff out. Like pp, my kids have surprised me with their picks! I think the memory of the shopping trip is one of my favorite right of passage moments with them. Don’t just order it all yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’ve taken the kids to ikea at that age and let them have fun picking stuff out. Like pp, my kids have surprised me with their picks! I think the memory of the shopping trip is one of my favorite right of passage moments with them. Don’t just order it all yourself.

Did you keep the furniture and just swap out other items? What type of items did they buy when you redid their rooms. I’ve been asking DS1 if he wants to redo his room for two years but we don’t know what changes we should make.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Did you keep the furniture and just swap out other items? What type of items did they buy when you redid their rooms. I’ve been asking DS1 if he wants to redo his room for two years but we don’t know what changes we should make.
    Upgraded beds from twin to full and new nightstands. Maybe new dressers if needed (only 1 kid needed a new, bigger one). But, if you already have a big bed then new bedding is good.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The tween stage is so short I would steer clear of things aimed at that age and go for more of a teen feel. Like I probably wouldn’t get a soccer lamp. I would invest in some kind of message center/wipe board/bulletin board to keep track of assignments and due dates. Both my kids use that. Does he have a smart phone? One of my kids LOVES the smart led strip lights they can control from an app on their phone. If he has trophies are awards putting in some small shelves high upper to display them is nice instead of crowding the dresser top. Will they eventually be a desk in the room? If so I would get a good office/computer chair. He will probably get a laptop for high school to do his work on. Both my kids have those rolling 3 tier carts you see in craft stores. They love them to put by the bed.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Consider repainting to a more grown up/neutral color. A color change made a big difference when we updated DD's room. She chose a light gray.

She also got new bedding (sheets, blanket, duvet-- same neutral gray as the new walls) and towels for her attached bath. She got a new bedside lamp, new shelving and a big bean bag chair. She hanged the art /photos for the walls and added some plants. She put in those LED strip lights around the top border. She also cleared a TON of clutter and old kid stuff. it's very peaceful for her now!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How old is your son?

I would first start with repainting the room. Both my boys chose different shades of navy blue when we gave them the option to repaint their rooms.

DS1 just turned 13 and we did his first redo at the start of the pandemic when he had just turned 11 and we needed to set his room up for online learning. He had bunk beds and we did all new bedding, washable rug, new desk, new lamp for on top of his bookcase, desk lamp, desk chair, and extra large glass wipe off wall calendar.

He's now tired of the bunk beds (which he's had since he was 3) so I just got him a new bed with padded tufted headboard. I thought of getting a full size instead of twin but since we just got all new twin bedding and a new twin mattress during the pandemic I really didn't want the added expense of all new bedding and mattress again. The new twin bed was just $150 on Amazon Wharehouse so not much was spent. I just ordered 2 new nightstands and 2 lamps since he didn't have any before with his bunk beds (just clip on lamps).

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We live near a few universities and were able to redo DS’s bedroom by scoring fantastic deals on really nice stuff from college students. Not sure where you live or what the college end date is in your area, but thought I’d throw that out there! We found the deals on FB college sale groups.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    DS1’s birthday is coming up and he wants a room makeover. We’re getting him few prints canvas, soccer lamp, and LED strip lights so far.

this chair as well

https://www.pbteen.com/products/ligh...ir&irpid=10078

Any other ideas? The room is baby blue color and white, he loves soccer, travel, comics, and gaming. We won’t be having any tv’s, devices or gaming system in his room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Do let him help if he wants to! My kids' tween rooms were short-lived, but SO loved.

We chose neutral walls, so that didn't have to change. But, the tween art, bedding and decor were easily swapped out and sold on FB to the next tween. Ha.

I didn't realize how big of a deal that phase really was to them until it was over. Definitely embrace the tween-ness if you can, don't jump to mini-adult, let him have some say!