Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default I hate hate hate packing

And my kids are not helping. We are all burnt out from the last 3 weeks of preparing for and cleaning up from the graduation party. Seriously kids, you should be able to pack for yourselves! You don’t have school now or activities! Get off your lazy butts!

I get a lot of “it will be fine mom. I don’t need much.” But what they really mean is, “I’m not going to bother packing and if I need anything while we are gone, I’ll just take mom’s.”

I miss when my kids were 9 and 10yo. They helped and were eager and cheerful about it. Where did those people go??
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel your pain. No matter how I try to trouble shoot packing - I always am the one making sure nothing falls through the cracks. And as you said, if it does - it will just be you figuring it out later while on the trip, which is worse!

Not sure what you've tried, but I'm most successful at getting cooperation when I give each family member a list they can mark off and tell them I need their suitcases and carry ons in a specific spot (usually use my laundry room island) by a specific time (usually 2-3 days before the trip) with a list on top of what they cannot pack until the last minute. That way, anything missing we can run around and get before we go.

We are still in school here, but as soon as we are out, I have to pack me for a month in Portugal, pack DS2 for two weeks in Norway backpacking plus bring his stuff for a week in Portugal (because he leaves while I'm gone and I cannot trust DH to make sure he has all he needs for camp and then he flies straight to me after camp), make sure DS1 has everything he needs for a three week dorm stay to do a college course out of state (DH will be moving him in, but again it happens while I'm gone so any supplies need to be purchased beforehand) and make sure DD and DS1 are ready to go with me to Portugal (they only stay a week before heading back). It is a lot! And this weekend, I'm moving my elderly mom from her primary home to her cottage in N. Michigan for the summer so I have to pack her too and then get her all settled in and stocked. A VERY long winded way to say - summer sure is fun but, man, the packing/organizing/logistics are complex!

Good luck to you getting your gang in gear! Are you off to France again?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had to get ds1 off to summer study abroad. That was a chore. I really love packing and organizing though and since I wasn't going anywhere, it was easy to help him.
    But, years ago I created a master packing list on the computer. Before a trip, I print it out, fill in quantities and send them on their way to pack. The list has toiletries, electronics and then sections for sleepovers, camping, weddings and other special events that have unique lists. Up to them at that point. If they show up without a toothbrush, underwear...it's not like we can't buy some. Annoying but not the end of the world.
    Hang in there!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I had to get ds1 off to summer study abroad. That was a chore. I really love packing and organizing though and since I wasn't going anywhere, it was easy to help him.
    But, years ago I created a master packing list on the computer. Before a trip, I print it out, fill in quantities and send them on their way to pack. The list has toiletries, electronics and then sections for sleepovers, camping, weddings and other special events that have unique lists. Up to them at that point. If they show up without a toothbrush, underwear...it's not like we can't buy some. Annoying but not the end of the world.
    Hang in there!
    Would you like to share your master list?

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Packing list- Clothes Dress shirt
    Shirts Dress pants
    Bottoms Belt
    Pants or shorts Tie
    Long sleeves/ sweatshir or t-shirt Socks
    Underwear Shoes
    Socks
    PJs
    Rain or winter jacket Sleepover
    Bathing suit add sleeping bag
    Goggles
    Sandals
    Shoes
    Packing List- Electronics and extras
    Packing List- Toiletries Any electronics
    Toothbrush Appropriate chargers
    Toothpaste Book
    Soap Games
    Deoderant Sunglasses
    Sunscreen Glasses
    Allergy Meds Pillow and blanket

It's really basic but I scratch unnecessary things off when I print and can add if I think of anything. We usually road trip hence the pillows and blankets. My camping one is in a different file and a work in progress.

I pack all of the main medicine stuff (stomach, ibuprofen...) and first aid stuff but if they were solo I would add it. eta- that came through weird. Looked good when I posted it.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are currently on a beach trip. I texted my kids a list of what they needed to pack. When DS brought his bag down I asked him if he packed swimsuits- he had forgotten so went to get them. When we arrived DD did not have a toothbrush. DS did not have a razor or shaving cream. We are easily able to get these items and maybe they won’t forget again. I have a packing list app (that could easily be in my Notes instead) and I have separate lists for beach trips, ski trips, international and for if we are staying at a hotel or condo/house. It helps but it still can be daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    I feel your pain. No matter how I try to trouble shoot packing - I always am the one making sure nothing falls through the cracks. And as you said, if it does - it will just be you figuring it out later while on the trip, which is worse!

Not sure what you've tried, but I'm most successful at getting cooperation when I give each family member a list they can mark off and tell them I need their suitcases and carry ons in a specific spot (usually use my laundry room island) by a specific time (usually 2-3 days before the trip) with a list on top of what they cannot pack until the last minute. That way, anything missing we can run around and get before we go.

We are still in school here, but as soon as we are out, I have to pack me for a month in Portugal, pack DS2 for two weeks in Norway backpacking plus bring his stuff for a week in Portugal (because he leaves while I'm gone and I cannot trust DH to make sure he has all he needs for camp and then he flies straight to me after camp), make sure DS1 has everything he needs for a three week dorm stay to do a college course out of state (DH will be moving him in, but again it happens while I'm gone so any supplies need to be purchased beforehand) and make sure DD and DS1 are ready to go with me to Portugal (they only stay a week before heading back). It is a lot! And this weekend, I'm moving my elderly mom from her primary home to her cottage in N. Michigan for the summer so I have to pack her too and then get her all settled in and stocked. A VERY long winded way to say - summer sure is fun but, man, the packing/organizing/logistics are complex!

Good luck to you getting your gang in gear! Are you off to France again?
    Oh my Gosh, Marinkitty, you are so much worse off than me. I hope you have lots of help with the packing (from your kids and Dh) as well as getting your mom moved. Just reading your post made me twitch. I can’t imagine how you are going to get any sleep in the next month. At least in Portugal you’ll be in your own house and can do laundry. That cuts down on packing. And I imagine you know the town well so anything you forget you can buy there.

Yes, we are going to France. We rented a big house in the Luberon region for 2 weeks. We have 18 other people staying with us (is a really big house). Two years later we are finally celebrating our 20th anniversary! It should be a lot of fun.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Even though I only pack for myself now, I definitely rely on a master packing list with variations. My family aren’t as avid list makers, and when they made their first post-lockdown trip last summer, they ended up forgetting some crucial items. (I received a couple very strange Amazon deliveries just before they arrived!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Hang in there!
    I do have a list with everything we would need for a beach vacation, ski vacation, camping/hiking, etc. (and I’d be happy to share it if anyone wants it. It’s got some personal stuff on it so I won’t post here). But my kids all think I’m crazy and that I overpack. They are all Boy Scouts and used to making do with less. They don’t care at all what they look like. I’m just a little more picky about them not going out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the same clothes they have worn all week.

So the hair-pulling continues…

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Was going to ask the same thing!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast