Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I packed DH ONCE!! Never again. He complained that he didn't have his Gortex on a Memorial Day vacation (it rained the entire trip), I decided that was the last time I pack for him. Of course, he always forgets something, usually a swimsuit, but there was that business trip that he forgot to pack PANTS (only had shorts). I still help DC since they would pack nothing but books...

Do what you have to do for YOU to have a nice trip!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Honestly, if they're old enough, let them do their own and have them deal with the results. You pack anything you can't deal with being without - like prescription meds, passports, ect - and let the chips fall. Very few things are deal-breakers.

I remember quite fondly when 12-year-old DS didn't pack enough shirts and got to sit by the washing machine at the RV park waiting for his clothes instead of watching a movie before bed. Lesson learned!
    Ive tried that. In theory it sounds good, but it doesn’t really turn out like that. Instead of letting them deal with the consequences, they pilfer from my stuff and I THEN deal with the consequences. Apparently in the past, mom didn’t need her brush, toothpaste, conditioner (NEED IT for tangles. Critical.), charger cord for my watch, charger cord for my phone, or most critical of all, my Miralax. Or they just whine, stink and are poor sports. If they don’t pack well they don’t suffer. I’M the one who suffers.

In your situation, my kids wouldn’t have washed their clothes. They would have insisted they smelled fine and reminded me of their Boy Scout camping trip where they didn’t shower for 10 days other than a swim in lake water. And I’m too tired to argue with them. Teenagers!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I packed DH ONCE!! Never again. He complained that he didn't have his Gortex on a Memorial Day vacation (it rained the entire trip), I decided that was the last time I pack for him. Of course, he always forgets something, usually a swimsuit, but there was that business trip that he forgot to pack PANTS (only had shorts). I still help DC since they would pack nothing but books...
    I pack for myself and the kids (they are 4 and 8 -- they get to choose what books/toys/etc. to put in their backpacks, I pack their clothes and mine together in one suitcase). This time I went with each kid into their room on packing day and said things like "pick the 3 shirts and 3 shorts you want to take" then I packed the things they chose. I do not pack for DH and I try not to micromanage him. But he is the one who always ends up without stuff. We went on a cruise, he didn't have sunglasses. We went to the beach, he didn't have any sandals (wore athletic shoes and didn't pack any others) or a hat. He has never once packed anything like sunscreen or medication. This time we packed ahead and sent our suitcases with my parents who were driving to the beach house in our van so we didn't have to deal with suitcases when we flew. He packed both of his razors in his toiletry bag so he then didn't have one at home the last week before we went.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I still pack for DS, 12. If I had to pack for more than one kid, I probably would have moved on to lists by now. lol

I don't mind and he doesn't care what he wears, so it's fairly easy and quick. And I know that he'll have enough appropriate outfits that match, underwear, socks and shoes.

I don't pack for DH, and he doesn't want me to. Happy to oblige.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default I hate hate hate packing

We’ve gone to Target because DS didn’t pack underwear. He’s been pretty good since then. We tell him the kind of clothes he needs to pack

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-04-2022 at 01:14 AM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Let us know when you're done so we can all breathe a sigh of relief and congratulate you for finishing that awful task!

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had my teens write their own list then I review it to make sure it has everything. Then I tell them to check things off as they pack. Of course they don't do that. I'm motivated for them to be better at packing than my DH. He forgot swim trunks for a cruise and a jacket for a winter vacation to NYC!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Let us know when you're done so we can all breathe a sigh of relief and congratulate you for finishing that awful task!
    I just saw this! I survived and we made it! And I’m finally getting some sleep. Finally!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3