Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Is College Parent Orientation worth it?

DS has his college 2 day/overnight orientation next week. They are offering a separate parent orientation. Parents will not be with their child, this is for parents only. One day, 9-5. It's in the city, traffic will be a nightmare. BUT, I'd be willing to go if it would be helpful. Any BTDT?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You should go. I always find helpful info at those things.
    We had no opportunities for stuff like that due to Covid so jealous that you can attend.
    I’d see what format it is. If it’s just booths vs formal talks you can avoid rush hour driving as it won’t take as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think more info is always helpful. I'd go - and bring note-taking materials!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We spent 4 days in town when we dropped off DS1 and that included move in day and the entire next day which was parent orientation. I'm so grateful that DS's school had so many opportunities in place for students and parents. We had a great time.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We had nothing, maybe still because of covid? I don't feel like I missed out, but I guess it might have been nice- that sounds like a lot of time though- not sure I would want to give up a whole day for it...

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OP can you make a trip of it and get a hotel to travel with your student? I’m assuming you’re local otherwise that would be your plan, right?

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ours is one day, one LONG day. I am going to the parent orientation, not sure if DH is joining me. The more we all know, the easier the transition will be... I HOPE!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    OP can you make a trip of it and get a hotel to travel with your student? I’m assuming you’re local otherwise that would be your plan, right?

Yes, we're local (45 min-1 hr in good highway traffic) much much longer during rush hour. I would definitely do a day trip, no overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Ours is one day, one LONG day. I am going to the parent orientation, not sure if DH is joining me. The more we all know, the easier the transition will be... I HOPE!
    Yes, it's a LONG day! Check in starts at 8am and the day ends after 5pm. I'll be alone, DH had a new job and can't get the time off. If I had a buddy, this would be a much easier decision

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It completely depends on your parenting style and expectations. It would have been useless for me and a made me think "should I be doing more?" I did everything for college myself: SAT tests, applications, financial aid forms, etc. It was somewhat easier back then, but I really wanted there to be a line drawn once my DS entered college that it was his responsibility. I checked the website about details that might bite me in the behind: move in dates, how to get me on as someone that access to his financial but not academic stuff, making sure I understood what needed to be done for verifying health insurance. That was easily obtained via web site or forums. I think I made one call because I needed to know about move in date 3 months early to request off. Besides that I just let him do it.

I am sure it’s usefulness varies a lot by school and by family. I am positive my mom is really glad she went. That was where she learned they would give my scholarship back one time (I lost it for having less than 3.5 GPA after freshman year) if I got my GPA back up over that and wrote a letter explaining that I had learned my lesson and asking to have it reinstated. It meant I got my full tuition scholarship back for my last 5 semesters. I am sure it never would have occurred to us to ask if she hadn’t gone to orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast