Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If he hasn’t had symptoms, then it is likely he will test negative. I had a bad case and tested positive and then again on Day 6. Finally tested negative on Day 8 (I think?). DH tested negative on all home tests but got a positive PCR on my Day 6 or 7. He didn’t have symptoms and had negative home tests that straddled the PCR. I think he had the virus but never developed a full-fledged case (maybe because he had an extra booster).

Both of our kids have been fine.

Hopefully your DS was just a “carrier” briefly and will be in the clear tomorrow.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Fingers crossed he’s negative and can participate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Really hoping he gets a negative test result and can participate!!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    At this point I'm just praying that he'll legitimately qualify to walk for graduation! He has a few days... We're not going to test until tomorrow and then if that's not clear, then Friday and then we'll have to skip it. I don't have a problem with the reasoning that snugglebuggles gave, but it doesn't feel consistent with how we've been for the rest of the pandemic. It feels sort of strange because his high school graduation is a culmination of sorts on his entire childhood which has kind of been defined by a struggle to teach to do the right thing. It would seem strange to fudge things even a little bit just to participate in a symbolic end, if that makes sense. Would appreciate any prayers you can spare so that he can make it!
    I wouldn't consider it fudging things if you are going by the CDC recommendations! It's a school rule to rapid test negative prior to attending graduation?

The risk of transmitting it through a mask to a random member of the crowd is so small. If someone is "vulnerable" they ought to be vaccinated/boosted and be wearing a good mask while in a crowded (?indoor?) setting. The chance of this person catching it from your masked DS in a random pass by...AND having a bad outcome is just so so so small. It's not the same virus it was in 2020.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I wouldn't consider it fudging things if you are going by the CDC recommendations! It's a school rule to rapid test negative prior to attending graduation?

The risk of transmitting it through a mask to a random member of the crowd is so small. If someone is "vulnerable" they ought to be vaccinated/boosted and be wearing a good mask while in a crowded (?indoor?) setting. The chance of this person catching it from your masked DS in a random pass by...AND having a bad outcome is just so so so small. It's not the same virus it was in 2020.
    Yes! It is a school rule. We have to send a photo of the negative test. (Which can be a home administered rapid test.) And yeah, the graduation is totally outdoors.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You know what is really bugging me? Now that DS2 just tested positive (today!) he has a final the same day as the graduation. The teacher is looking for an exemption to the school rule so that he can come in person to take his final. I'll be SO frustrated if they make an exception for Freshman biology class but not for DS being able to attend his own graduation. (They're talking about having him come in after 5 days with a mask and take the test outside.) I feel like after 2 years they ought to have a better set up for sick people than that!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You know what is really bugging me? Now that DS2 just tested positive (today!) he has a final the same day as the graduation. The teacher is looking for an exemption to the school rule so that he can come in person to take his final. I'll be SO frustrated if they make an exception for Freshman biology class but not for DS being able to attend his own graduation. (They're talking about having him come in after 5 days with a mask and take the test outside.) I feel like after 2 years they ought to have a better set up for sick people than that!
    That's really weird. And, more reason to simply let ds1 attend his graduation.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's really weird. And, more reason to simply let ds1 attend his graduation.
    Yes, I agree with this.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would flip a lid on this one. Or I would contain myself and follow CDC guidance since the school is already making exemptions themselves. I know how much you want to do the right thing and follow the rules, but this is really screwed up that they’ll violate their rules for a test but not an outdoor graduation ceremony. Prayers for a negative test so you don’t have to worry about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unless he is having some symptoms, I would send him to the outdoor graduation. These kids have been through so much, it is a big deal to graduate. If this were two years ago it would be different.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast