Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I love apartments. I have rented through property management companies, Air BnB, VRBO etc. In Italy, Spain, and the UK. If you want some space, a washer/dryer, a kitchen with a fridge and to maybe microwave some snack foods, then go with the apartment. If not, go with the hotel.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have stayed in airbnbs and vrbos lots of places, but I think it is unlikely you will find a decent one for a trip so soon. Maybe you will get lucky, but I would probably just stick with what you have. And fingers crossed you are able to go!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yep, we've stayed in AirBnBs in 2 different cities in Spain (Grenada and Barcelona) and all throughout many European countries. We loved it as they gave us more space, a kitchen (even when traveling it works best for our family to cook at least some meals "at home") and usually an additional bedroom or two for about the same cost. I think the advice people gave for picking an AirBnB in the States on a recent thread is good advice for picking one somewhere else, too. The biggest different I've noted between using AirBnB in Europe vs. the US is that in Europe we almost always had the host actually meet us in person to give us the keys and show us around the place, vs. in the US where it's mostly keyless entry and you never interact with the hosts. We never had an issue with it and sometimes got great local tips, etc. but it does make timing a little more important, as you have to tell a person when to meet you.
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We are doing Airbnb in Italy. I am not a budget traveler so I want a nice hotel. But, I'm also not a luxury traveler that wants to pay $1000/ night. A nice hotel that sleeps 4 is a needle in a haystack- that isn't a huge, expensive suite. I had a hotel picked in Rome and there were no rooms that slept 4. That meant getting 2 rooms and splitting up. Not a problem as ds1 is over 18. But, an Airbnb was so much less expensive, gave us so much more space and we can stay in to cook. It was just a no brainer. I read countless reviews and did tons of research. I feel good about my choices and I have always done well with Airbnb and VRBO in the past. So, fingers crossed.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes - we've stayed in airbnbs and other rental places (vrbo, agencies) in Spain and other EU countries and it's the same as at home - choose wisely, make sure you understand what you're getting, chat with the host ahead of time and only book a place with solid and numerous reviews. But really it matters most what your comfort zone is. If it's going to be a source of stress and there are only two of you going, a hotel is just as easy.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well wishes to your daughter. I do agree that most of the time I want space, but also if I am in a foreign country I want to be out trying things. At least if I ever make to Europe and have the choice to stay in an AirBNB I have you all to ask. I am not a bargain travel hunter either (the thought of a hostel even when I was in my early 20s wasn’t appealing), but I totally understand hotels in a Europe aren’t usually the same as in the US from room size to amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2