Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lego purge help

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Not sure just how big your Lego collection is and how much long term storage space you have but I’m keeping the majority of our collection for future (🤞&#127997 grandkids to play with. DS always used to take apart sets which killed me bc they are so expensive, but he liked to use the specialty pieces to make his own creations and scenes.

What I’ve done it separate the Legos into basic blocks, special shaped blocks, mini figures, and “props” like swords, light sabers, tools, animals, etc. Packed it all up and put it into in the garage.

DH thinks I’m crazy for setting aside toys for hypothetical grandchildren, which is strange bc his parents kept a lot of stuff that our kids played with at their house. And there are memories attached to those toys that he shares which makes them extra special.
    Last edited by kali; 06-09-2022 at 02:14 AM.

You all, at least, are making me feel better about having this daunting collection!

Many of ours are sorted by colors in bins and on shelves, but we also have lots of built creations in various states in totes, and frankly our play space is just bursting. I actually think paring it down would make it more fun for our kids for play, because right now it's kind of a mess. And we are also limited for storage space. Some of these larger creations are huge! They are filling our play table surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I plan to sort bricks with instructions into ziploc bags at some point way off in the future.
    This idea does appeal to me. I have all the instruction books. The people are all over the place but I bet I could find most of the bricks and then perhaps give sets away. I guess if I amassed all the bricks for a really nice set I could consider trying to sell it but mostly I want to keep life simple. I knew of people years ago whose older kids sold sets and bricks (I should find out where) and made some good money but I know it was a lot of work. I don't have the sense that our local school would be interested but I'd definitely ask. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Not sure just how big your Lego collection is and how much long term storage space you have but I’m keeping the majority of our collection for future (����) grandkids to play with. DS always used to take apart sets which killed me bc they are so expensive, but he liked to use the specialty pieces to make his own creations and scenes.

What I’ve done it separate the Legos into basic blocks, special shaped blocks, mini figures, and “props” like swords, light sabers, tools, animals, etc. Packed it all up and put it into in the garage.

DH thinks I’m crazy for setting aside toys for hypothetical grandchildren, which is strange bc his parents kept a lot of stuff that our kids played with at their house. And there are memories attached to those toys that he shares which makes them extra special.
    I'm planning to keep at least some of ours for hypothetical grandchildren. My mom kept a handful of favorite, classic toys from when I was a kid, and my stepdad actually has a couple of things from when he was a kid, and my children have enjoyed playing with them both at our house and at their house.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Add us to the lists of those with way too many legos. We just moved and most of them are in giant bins in the garage - some still assembled and some just a mess of bricks. All of the instruction books are together. Someday I need to deal with it all!

My MIL has a giant thing of legos from when my husband was a kid and all of the grandkids use them. There are all those cool old space sets with the astronaut (like the guy in the Lego Movie) and a great old boat. They do get used!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2