Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Covid and vacation

So...none of us have had it yet. It's starting to stress me out because we have a family vacation coming up and are getting into that time period where I'm now worried about what will happen if we get it and since we haven't gotten it, it's making us want to be extra careful to NOT get it and ruin our vacation.

But we could also get it DURING vacation, which would be equally nightmarish with figuring out how/where to isolate and who/how to get home to pick up dogs from the dog sitter. I know people everywhere are flying, knowing they are positive (unfortunately I personally know of several specific incidents where this was the case) so worst case is wear our N95s and fly home positive...I guess...which rubs me the wrong way.

At a minimum we are still wearing high quality masks indoors, not dining inside, and will continue that during vacation. We may need to test before going, since we are staying with our friends, one of which is a doctor who also hasn't gotten it (yet) and therefore it will be important to keep it that way. But while wearing our masks will reduce the chances, it's by far NOT a guarantee...

I guess it's a "cross that bridge if you have to"...but how are y'all reconciling all of this??

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think if you haven’t had it and are flying, you will most likely catch it. There are too many people in tight quarters for long periods to avoid it. I have a family member who caught it on their return flight recently after avoiding it for 2+ years.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I think if you haven’t had it and are flying, you will most likely catch it. There are too many people in tight quarters for long periods to avoid it. I have a family member who caught it on their return flight recently after avoiding it for 2+ years.
    Ugh, that’s not what I want to hear right now. DH, myself, and 2 friends are flying to Jamaica on Friday. I had it in January, but as far as I know none of the other 3 have gotten it yet. I bought masks for the plane but I don’t think the others will be wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Ugh, that’s not what I want to hear right now. DH, myself, and 2 friends are flying to Jamaica on Friday. I had it in January, but as far as I know none of the other 3 have gotten it yet. I bought masks for the plane but I don’t think the others will be wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My family member was masked and still caught it. I don’t think unmasked people will avoid it with current delays. Sorry! Fingers crossed you get lucky!!

Default Covid and vacation

Not necessarily. We haven’t had it to our knowledge (we’ve had colds that we’ve passed around and everyone gets at least 2 rapid tests and they’ve always been negative. We returned mid-day Sunday from Hawaii. So far, no symptoms. Super long flight and a medium flight. Kids wore standard disposable masks (nice quality but not N95s), adults wore KF94s, and we all seem fine so far. We probably had no possible exposure in Hawaii since we stayed in a VRBO and only ate outdoors. (We wore masks anytime we went in a shop.). Flights were full. I sat with my boys in one row. DH said the woman next to DD was coughing a bunch. I assume we’d have symptoms by now at 3.5 days past out last moment of exposure. (We obviously didn’t get it on the flight TO Hawaii.)

Just wear good masks and try to enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 06-16-2022 at 12:06 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think this is necessarily true, IF you're wearing really good masks. Our immediate family (5 of us) have still not gotten covid yet. Everyone except my mom has flown several times throughout the pandemic, including pre-vaccine when DS1 and I did our 11 day college tour with multiple flights and airports. We've always worn N95/KF94/KN95 masks though and don't eat on the plane (no super long international flights yet). DH has flown for 3 different work trips and DS1 flew to and from college at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break, plus move in and move out. We also flew for vacation last summer to peak Delta hotspots. We still eat outdoors at restaurants whenever possible, but if it's not possible we eat inside. The only time I wear a mask now is in super crowded indoor spaces like the airport or 8 hour long volleyball tournaments. DS2 wore his mask the entire school year. He was PCR tested weekly the whole year so if covid was in our household I figure it would have been picked up through the school testing. We also did rapid tests any time any of us had symptoms and were sick. Always negative, even when taken multiple days in a row. DH got sick after each work trip, but not with covid apparently!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know that I agree with this. I do not believe that I have had it - and I have tested very frequently due to working in person this whole time. I've also taken antibody tests about 1x/month.

I flew coast to coast 4x last month, after the mask requirement was dropped. I wore a KN-94, but did eat on the flight and at the airport. I did not got COVID.

I do feel like a ticking time bomb though.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had to fly home for my mother’s estate 2 days after the mask mandate was lifted. Wore a N95 the whole time. Did not eat or drink on flight. Only drank in terminal when I was far away from people in a big, well ventilated area. Did not get it. Went to Aruba last August with husband, both in the clear. I worked in the freaking COVID ICU at the beginning of this for months, re-using N95 masks and no vaccines and did not get it.
    It is possible. But if you can do everything and still get it if you are near someone at the right time just shedding it all over the place. Find some videos on how to do proper fit tests for n95 masks. The fact I have a round, Eastern European face with slightly chubby cheeks means every freaking normal size N95 mask fits me. Meanwhile I have colleagues who can’t find one and need to wear a space hood filtration system.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Double post
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For various we decided not to “go away” this summer and just rent a house within driving distance near the beach. SO glad we did. I realize many people were itching to travel this winter and made plans. I could make plans for various reasons until later spring and the prices were skyrocketing. I thought, oh WAY too many people are traveling, not this summer. Air travel is a mess. The rate of COVID was higher in May of 22 than May if 21. Word from on the ground is the new BA5 variant is insanely contagious. As it appears there are legitimate cases of people getting it outside or inside while masked. I switched to a N95 mask when indoors a few months ago and glad I did. Hospitalization and deaths aren’t climbing at the same rate as previous waves, but several experts I follow say that it’s because so many people have been infected within the last few months that is helping. There are people getting reinfected after being positive for Covid less that a month before, that shows a pretty strong ability of the variant to outwit the immune system. We never had it in our family and it’s been a while since we have had the vaccine. Now might be the time I get my second booster. Who knows if it will help. I would say it’s endemic and don’t worry, but with the number of people getting infected 2, 3 or 4 times and the evidence that the more often you are infected the more likely you are to develop long term complications…..
    Let’s just saying I’m not making any big plans right now.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast