Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We’re vaccinated and boosted and just going to hope for the best. Dh and ds1 have also had it in April.
    I always wonder if we’ve had it but it’s been so mild that we didn’t really know or dismissed it as allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Default Covid and vacation

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Please let me know when you find out! I am going through the same. It seems unbelievable, but we have not caught COVID yet. We have a cruise planned to Alaska in August, and I'm just convinced we will get it on the cruise and be quarantined in an inside stateroom and lose the thousands of dollars we paid.

DH has been seeing COVID patients in the hospital since March 2020. At this point, I don't think he bothers to wear more than a surgical mask even with a known COVID+ patient. There are just too many. I have been working in person with 40 ish outpatients per day, so definitely some COVID there. My kids have been in school unmasked without any precautions for months now. DD has gotten 3 bad viruses - fever, sore throat, snuffy nose, croupy cough, laryngitis. She missed 10 days of school...but a gazillion home tests never turned positive! And weirdly, none of the rest of us got sick either.

All of the kids who sit next to my kids got COVID in the past few months. And both of their teachers (both teachers were in school symptomatic). Still no COVID.

We had an indoor party at a trampoline park where no one was wearing masks. 3/15 kids invited couldn't come due to having COVID. Still no COVID.

Our nanny postponed her wedding 3x, just had it last weekend, and came down with COVID 3 days after. But again weirdly, didn't pass it to us, somehow.

We went to Hawaii in April, wore masks on the plane (right after mask mandate ended), but really no other place. We were often in crowded elevators, restaurants, etc. Still were fine.

So I'm pretty convinced we are destined to finally get it in Alaska! DH is claiming we must have already had it and were asymptomatic, or that DD had it and the home tests missed it...Seems implausible, though.
    I’d be worried about the cruise since it’s such close quarters with no opportunities to eat outside and the penalty for getting Covid (quarantining in your stateroom) sounds beyond miserable. Does the cruise ship require tests before getting on? I’d be sure to wear N95s on the plan TO your departure location. We loved our Alaskan cruise. My sister knows someone who was scheduled to take a cruise starting in Amsterdam, and they tested positive before boarding and had to be quarantined in Amsterdam for 10 days and missed the whole cruise. (Husband got it first, then gave it to the wife during quarantine.) maybe you will get Covid before your trip? DH still wears a N95 mask at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Please let me know when you find out! I am going through the same. It seems unbelievable, but we have not caught COVID yet. We have a cruise planned to Alaska in August, and I'm just convinced we will get it on the cruise and be quarantined in an inside stateroom and lose the thousands of dollars we paid.

DH has been seeing COVID patients in the hospital since March 2020. At this point, I don't think he bothers to wear more than a surgical mask even with a known COVID+ patient. There are just too many. I have been working in person with 40 ish outpatients per day, so definitely some COVID there. My kids have been in school unmasked without any precautions for months now. DD has gotten 3 bad viruses - fever, sore throat, snuffy nose, croupy cough, laryngitis. She missed 10 days of school...but a gazillion home tests never turned positive! And weirdly, none of the rest of us got sick either.

All of the kids who sit next to my kids got COVID in the past few months. And both of their teachers (both teachers were in school symptomatic). Still no COVID.

We had an indoor party at a trampoline park where no one was wearing masks. 3/15 kids invited couldn't come due to having COVID. Still no COVID.

Our nanny postponed her wedding 3x, just had it last weekend, and came down with COVID 3 days after. But again weirdly, didn't pass it to us, somehow.

We went to Hawaii in April, wore masks on the plane (right after mask mandate ended), but really no other place. We were often in crowded elevators, restaurants, etc. Still were fine.

So I'm pretty convinced we are destined to finally get it in Alaska! DH is claiming we must have already had it and were asymptomatic, or that DD had it and the home tests missed it...Seems implausible, though.
    Wow, you've had a LOT of opportunities for exposure and still (theoretically) haven't gotten it which makes me think something else is going on...either you're all resistant or already immune (and some people are...from past coronavirus infection or past undetected covid infection or something else that science hasn't quite figured out yet) or you've been exceedingly lucky. For us I don't think we have necessarily been exceedingly lucky, just exceedingly careful. My kids were masked through the entire school year, but in a district/community that is HIGHLY vaccinated/boostered and with about 30% of the other kids also still wearing masks. Outside of school, we have been as careful as early on in the pandemic regarding indoor public spaces - always masked with KN95s. The biggest difference is that our kids occasionally have friends over, and that is unmasked. DH and I have a few work trips under our belts but we are wearing masks everywhere plus DH got his 2nd booster so he's eaten inside a few times for work but hasn't gotten it. I have been VERY strictly masking indoors for work travel and refusing to eat indoors at all except for at an empty airport terminal.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-16-2022 at 09:54 AM.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just sharing information, not saying what you should or shouldn't do.

I've flown more than most during the pandemic, although not until fully vaccinated - a little work, more for pleasure. While the mask mandate was on I of course masked. When it stopped, I did as well. I got COVID a few weeks ago after a business trip. No one else there got it, including two people I sat next to at a dinner with great ventilation but inside. So I'm assuming based on timing I got it on the way home. I am not actually worried about flights - pretty good airflow, and at least til recently little spread that way because of the filters. BUT I had no traffic getting to the airport, and had planned to get there early to take care of some work. I didn't pay enough attention to who might have been sitting near me for an extended time, and I didn't mask. That was Thurs morning. Sunday morning I was positive. Having said that - I was also at a choir concert Thursday night. It was in the gym (auditorium under reno) and pretty spread out - but had I known a bunch of the kids were out sick I likely would have masked/I could have gotten it there too.

With all of that as background - I'm also in the 'it's endemic now - unless you are REALLY careful, which it sounds like you generally are, it's likely you will catch it'. With no health risks, and with the plans you have to minimize contamination, I'd go for it. I'd also pack extra daily meds and anything else you may need if you need to extend to isolate. Current guidance is "only" five days, with another five days masked - which is annoying but doable.

A colleague just came back from an Alaska cruise for a week. Made it home - but tested positive afterwards. I wouldn't do a cruise right now/do think it's inevitable there will be some spread. My slight claustrophia definitely contributes to my 'hard pass' on that one I'm sure.

(In the just FYI bucket - I isolated til a negative test as our daughter was leaving for camp and I didn't want to take the chance. Took 12 days. But neither my husband or daughter caught it.)

Good luck making your decision.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I completely understand this. This is where I am. We either never got it or all 4 of us were asymptomatic. Both seem statistically unlikely. I’m not terribly worried about getting it per se, but I keep moving from one important event to another hoping I get it before those events, then when that doesn’t happen worrying about getting it right before or during that important event. I flew to Germany during the height of their Omicron wave and hung out with a 100 ladies from the UK in hotel banquet halls. We flew to Disney World in April (a trip rescheduled from Jan to avoid Omicron wave). My kids haven’t been masked in school for months. DH has made a few extensive business trips recently. DD went on her bussed 8th grade DC trip a few weeks ago on the heels of an outbreak at her MS. They almost had to cancel the trip due to chaperone shortage and a couple teacher chaperones joined them mid trip after their 5 day quarantine ended. I’ve spent the last few weeks honestly hoping to get it so I don’t have to worry about it for my college tour trip with DS next week. We are headed from NE where the wave has subsided into the south and Midwest where it’s picking up. We have 5 flights, two 4hr drives, and 4 different hotels in the mix. I’m dreading getting sick on the road in a hotel room with DS and him missing these tours. They can’t even be rescheduled easily as many are now booked up.

I’m so tired of worrying about it for each critical thing in our future.

As of yesterday, we outlasted Fauci! on 🪵!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are experiencing this now. We rented a very large house in Provence in France and invited 20 people to join us. There is plenty of room, several living rooms, a large outdoor area and everyone has their own bathroom connected to their room. Well, dh’s elderly aunt and uncle somehow caught COVID over here. They have been quarantining on the second floor for the last 6 days. I’m the only one speaking French among us. So I helped them with the doctor who was awesome. But now my Dh and kids are leaving for the U.S. tomorrow. Dh’s dad (73yo, hearing problem, overweight), has insisted he will stay here and help them. He doesn’t speak French but he does drive a manual transmission (which I don’t) so he will take care of them. The owner of the house we are in has kindly offered to extend our stay 5 days. He’s taking them to the local hospital for a blood draw to check uncle bob’s creatinine levels before he has an X-ray with contrast. The X-ray will be tomorrow. The doctor is concerned that since uncle bob is 83 years old, overweight and has COVID, he has a high risk of developing a pulmonary embolism. The flight from Nice to Amsterdam to Portland, Oregon is a LONG one. Saying prayers uncle bob doesn’t have any problems. And saying prayers FIL stays healthy. He’s developing a cough which he isn’t taking seriously. He drives me nuts but he is dh’s dad. He’s flying back to the US separately a day later. I’ve given his instructions on how to go see the doctor during open office hours Saturday mornirn to get his own prescription for Paxlovid in case he needs to start it.

In the meantime, the doctor prescribed uncle and aunt Paxlovid and they expect to be finished with that before they board their plane on Tuesday. The doctor would like them to extend their stay longer but they just can’t for financial reasons (we are paying for the extension on the house while they are here). The doctor then insisted they double mask with their k95 masks if they go on the plane. They will be taking the plane home 9 days after diagnosis. Everyone in our group is vaccinated and boostered as much as possible.

ETA- about 7 days ago the US dropped the requirements to provide proof of a negative COVID test before re-entering the US.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-16-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes the ship requires tests before getting on, and everyone needs to be vaccinated...but obviously that doesn't prevent people who are in very early stages of infection from boarding and then spreading it. They actually just brought back an indoor mask requirement on our ship, so hopefully that will help a bit.

We moved out of the exceedingly careful category to what I would consider the averagely careful (for our area) sometime this winter. Prior to that the kids were in KF94s in school and I think that's why we missed the winter wave. I did think for sure we would get it this spring though once everyone shed their masks. And even joked with DH over Memorial Day that it would be a great time to get it cause we didn't have much planned and neither of us was on call!

I'm still wearing an N95 at work, but mostly because I can't figure out a way to stop my glasses from fogging in a regular mask. There is no way I'm going to get DH to wear an N95 on the plane, though! Kids are relatively comfy in their KF94/KN95s. We've been happily shopping/etc without masks on for a while now, but I'll make them buckle down a bit once it gets closer to the trip.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I’d be worried about the cruise since it’s such close quarters with no opportunities to eat outside and the penalty for getting Covid (quarantining in your stateroom) sounds beyond miserable. Does the cruise ship require tests before getting on? I’d be sure to wear N95s on the plan TO your departure location. We loved our Alaskan cruise. My sister knows someone who was scheduled to take a cruise starting in Amsterdam, and they tested positive before boarding and had to be quarantined in Amsterdam for 10 days and missed the whole cruise. (Husband got it first, then gave it to the wife during quarantine.) maybe you will get Covid before your trip? DH still wears a N95 mask at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're taking a cruise in August and I'm definitely feeling like I wouldn't be surprised if we got it there! Vaccination and proof of negative test is required to get on the ship. In our case we're driving to the port the morning of the cruise (a 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic) so I'm not worried about exposure on the way there, we've been to the destination many times, and we have a balcony cabin. So it would suck to end up quarantined on the ship, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. We're both vaccinated and boosted. I caught COVID in January from our 4 year old. Our 8 year old got it in May. But DH hasn't caught it either of the times others in our house had it, despite cuddling with our daughter, sharing a bed with me every night, and us not even knowing our son had been tested (asymptomatic screening at school which we gave blanket consent for at the beginning of the school year) until they called us the following evening to tell us he was positive. He must have those magic don't get COVID genes?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I completely understand this. This is where I am. We either never got it or all 4 of us were asymptomatic. Both seem statistically unlikely. I’m not terribly worried about getting it per se, but I keep moving from one important event to another hoping I get it before those events, then when that doesn’t happen worrying about getting it right before or during that important event. I flew to Germany during the height of their Omicron wave and hung out with a 100 ladies from the UK in hotel banquet halls. We flew to Disney World in April (a trip rescheduled from Jan to avoid Omicron wave). My kids haven’t been masked in school for months. DH has made a few extensive business trips recently. DD went on her bussed 8th grade DC trip a few weeks ago on the heels of an outbreak at her MS. They almost had to cancel the trip due to chaperone shortage and a couple teacher chaperones joined them mid trip after their 5 day quarantine ended. I’ve spent the last few weeks honestly hoping to get it so I don’t have to worry about it for my college tour trip with DS next week. We are headed from NE where the wave has subsided into the south and Midwest where it’s picking up. We have 5 flights, two 4hr drives, and 4 different hotels in the mix. I’m dreading getting sick on the road in a hotel room with DS and him missing these tours. They can’t even be rescheduled easily as many are now booked up.

I’m so tired of worrying about it for each critical thing in our future.

As of yesterday, we outlasted Fauci! on ��!!!

DH was laughing so hard that we had avoided the virus longer than Fauci!

Since at this point, just about everyone is stressed about testing positive and ruining plans (instead of proning alone in the basement because the hospital is overwhelmed and there's no vent left for you), I think we need to ease up on the testing/quarantining those with mild symptoms.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    With all of that as background - I'm also in the 'it's endemic now - unless you are REALLY careful, which it sounds like you generally are, it's likely you will catch it'. With no health risks, and with the plans you have to minimize contamination, I'd go for it. I'd also pack extra daily meds and anything else you may need if you need to extend to isolate. Current guidance is "only" five days, with another five days masked - which is annoying but doable.
    I don’t disagree with you and I’m not advocating for stricter public measures. But living in a world where it is endemic stinks. From the costly, awful situation Gatorsmom is in right now. (I’m so sorry and praying your aunt and uncle and father in law remain healthy.) My mom was recently unable to travel to her dying sister because my stepfather had COVID. She didn’t want to risk bringing to my aunt or her family and my stepfather was in pretty rough shape to be left alone. I would love to travel more. I miss it desperately, but the risk of a costly headache is daunting.

If a magic genie offered me a deal right now, a guarantee I wouldn’t get COVID during my trip next week in exchange for a guarantee that I would get it upon my return, I would take that right now.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast