Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t disagree with you and I’m not advocating for stricter public measures. But living in a world where it is endemic stinks
    Oh - I definitely agree. Too long to post here but I've realized recently how much DD's life has been impacted lately by making sure she isn't positive for this event. Then that one. Then the next. It's taking an emotional toll and I know she's not alone.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We're taking a cruise in August and I'm definitely feeling like I wouldn't be surprised if we got it there! Vaccination and proof of negative test is required to get on the ship. In our case we're driving to the port the morning of the cruise (a 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic) so I'm not worried about exposure on the way there, we've been to the destination many times, and we have a balcony cabin. So it would suck to end up quarantined on the ship, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. We're both vaccinated and boosted. I caught COVID in January from our 4 year old. Our 8 year old got it in May. But DH hasn't caught it either of the times others in our house had it, despite cuddling with our daughter, sharing a bed with me every night, and us not even knowing our son had been tested (asymptomatic screening at school which we gave blanket consent for at the beginning of the school year) until they called us the following evening to tell us he was positive. He must have those magic don't get COVID genes?
    I was so very close to booking for Alaska this summer as well. I like how all the passengers have to be vaxxed -- so that is automatically a smaller subset of the population. And from what I read, if you wind up having to quarantine, they will reimburse the cost of the cruise per diem (at least HAL does). But I was reading lots of comments on Cruise Critic about how people will not report positive cases on board, bc they want to continue with their vacation. I mean, we know people do that all the time - but when on a cruise ship - you're in closer quarters. I also really love the dining room when on a cruise, and since a good amt of transmission is happening there, I just wouldn't be able to enjoy it fully.

So, to answer OPs question, I am forgoing some things. And avoiding hotels where the cancellation policy is not generous. We went to Maui in April. I have another trip to Hawaii booked in July, but I may not go. At this point, we have to realize we may get sick - traveling or not. So having backup plans, travel insurance, etc., will be good.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, we all got it right after our vacation. No fun. But one or two of us were exposed and then we spent two days together in the car and everyone ended up sick. We have all been vaxxed and boosted minus my youngest. She was vaxxed, not yet boosted. There is just so much Covid out there right now. If we were to do it again, we might have skipped our last meal indoors, but the exposure could have come from another activity. Just so hard to know.

I wouldn’t spend too much time thinking about contingency plans, but would encourage you that if one of your family gets sick, try to be resigned with everyone also getting sick when traveling. It seems pretty inevitable in that way. That said, I hope you have a great trip and don’t have to deal with this at all!!
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think the idea that you get insurance and have good contingencies plans is a good one. I gotta tell you, after suffering with COVID for a week at home, trying to be in a different area than the non-COVID family members I can't imagine being stuck in a cruise room for that same duration. I might need a sedative! I just felt SO crummy and didn't handle my pain and discomfort well while confined. Otherwise COVID has been MOST inconvenient for my family. But thankfully although I'm still dealing with feeling crummy, I think the consequences of quarantine were worse than the disease.

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by keh602 View Post
    It's super stressful, I know. DH and I went to Disney World in November and had no issues. DS1 and I had Covid in January, and no one else in the family appears to have had it. We all just went to Disney World (came home this past Saturday), and so far it seems like we're all fine. We all wore masks, but we did fly and also ate indoors a few times.

BIL and his family were in London last month. BIL and SIL both tested positive for Covid right before they were due to fly home. They found an Airbnb to stay in and turned it into an extended adventure. They sent their boys home (17 and 15) and enjoyed some couple time once they were able to get out of quarantine. Talk about making the best of a situation. I think that gave me a little extra hope as we were preparing for our trip. Yes, it would have been hugely inconvenient (not to mention expensive) to have to figure out where to stay and what to do with our dog, but we would have figured it out.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your trip goes smoothly and everyone stays healthy.
    We’re going to Disney last minute next week and I’m feeling some anxiety now. Any suggestions other than just keeping a mask on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by umsh View Post
    We’re going to Disney last minute next week and I’m feeling some anxiety now. Any suggestions other than just keeping a mask on?

Dh came back from Disney and tested + for Covid 5 days later. We masked up indoors and some crowds. It was still required on planes and airports. He wore an N95. I didn't get Covid. We didn't wear masks in the many restaurants we ate in- unless all your dining is outdoors, it's unavoidable to be packed in with unmasked people.

He was sick for a few days but only so sick he needed to miss work 1 day (just because he needed to sleep all day). Do the best you can and, if you are vaccinated and boosted, try not to worry. Our Disney trip was super fun!

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you for encouraging me! I replied to your other thread and would love to hear more about your trip. It's going to be tough masking in the heat but we'll just have to do it in the crowds at least. Sounds like your DH wasn't too terribly sick, so that is good to hear, and I'm glad you didn't get sick at all. I'm a little more nervous because we have two back to back trips right after this one to see extended family (many elderly) who we haven't in a long time. I'll just be as careful as I can and try to relax...we haven't had a couples trip in many years, so we really need this!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did Disneyland last year during the Delta surge. DISCLAIMER that what worked then might not work now because Omicron is so much more easily transmitted AND because last year, Disneyland DID have an indoor mask mandate so everyone inside for the most part had masks on, and the cast members were enforcing it (there were some people who would pull on their masks to get past the CMs and then pull them off...grrrr.) Anyway we wore our masks religiously indoors. In all stores, and on all rides, even the ones that were outdoors. We wore our masks in all queues, even the ones outdoors, and pulled on our masks anytime crowds got dense. We never ate indoors, always outdoors. It was our highest risk activity last year and no one got sick from our party of 8. But...that was Delta. 1 double cloth masked, 1 single cloth masked, 4 cloth masks with surgical mask filters inside, 1 KN95, and 1 N95 was our mix.

Now it's different. Omicron is so transmissible AND there is no mask mandate. We're going back to Disneyland this year...during this current Omicron variant surge...and we will see what happens. We won't be doing anything differently except that most of us will have KN95 or N95s on this time (except for DD2 who can't tolerate the feel of the disposable mask material...she will be wearing a cloth mask with a Level 2 surgical mask filter inside).

Hang in there! You may get lucky! None of us wore more than a level 3 surgical mask. We wore masks *almost* all of the time indoors (I can't say we were perfect) when we weren't eating. Maybe it's the restaurants we chose, or maybe we just got lucky with our seating, but I felt like we had more space when we were eating than I expected. We were usually surrounded by empty tables for most of the time. I didn't feel packed in. We did not wear masks outdoors unless we were in a very crowded situation. FL is HOT, and I just couldn't. My kids, who have been wearing masks to school all this time, seemed to have an easier time with this. I kept hand sanitizer on me and had everyone use it frequently.

I think you do just have to do the best you can and hope for the best. I was a nervous wreck leading up to this trip, because we left the day after school got out, and I was so afraid someone would get covid before we even left. Once we were there, I relaxed a lot. I hope you're able to also.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

After 2+ years, I seriously think there's some luck involved but I don't believe we are all destined to get COVID during travel. Some people will, others will not depending on exposures and maybe luck. We've traveled quite a bit, even during various surges, attending crowded indoor sports events and managed to stay COVID-free until last month when DD brought it home from (probably) school. DH and I ended up getting it and honestly, I'm slightly less stressed since I hope we have some immunity. DSs haven't had COVID that we know of though. DS2 hates masks and I'm expecting he won't be easy to wrangle into precautions during travel. Hoping for the best.

At this point, any interaction with people presents a risk but we've decided to make calculated decisions and add back activities we really enjoy, including travel. We will take precautions, eat outdoors as much as possible and hope luck is on our side. I think that's all we can do - easier said than done but I hope you are able to enjoy your vacation!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast