Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Prices going up, what's shocked you?

Like many of you, I've definitely noticed prices going up on many items. Over the last few years, it seems like every grocery item has gone up at least 50 cents to dollars more per item. I've always been a bargain shopper, but lately I've been really trying to buy what I need vs impulse shopping.

What are some items where prices have surprised you?

For me, it was donuts! Price was typically $10 box for a dozen (local coffee chain). This morning it was $15. Garbage bags (BJ's), now $21 vs the old price of $15. Liquid hand soap (BJ's) almost $12 vs $7. I could just go on and on. At first, it seemed like a temporary thing with covid and supply issues etc. But now, I don't really see an end in sight.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Like many of you, I've definitely noticed prices going up on many items. Over the last few years, it seems like every grocery item has gone up at least 50 cents to dollars more per item. I've always been a bargain shopper, but lately I've been really trying to buy what I need vs impulse shopping.

What are some items where prices have surprised you?

For me, it was donuts! Price was typically $10 box for a dozen (local coffee chain). This morning it was $15. Garbage bags (BJ's), now $21 vs the old price of $15. Liquid hand soap (BJ's) almost $12 vs $7. I could just go on and on. At first, it seemed like a temporary thing with covid and supply issues etc. But now, I don't really see an end in sight.
    I'm not much of a bargain shopper, my brain just doesn't retain numbers in this context. But, we like these breaded chicken chunks from Costco. They went viral on TikTok so they are always sold out. When we see them in stock, we load up. I felt like the new price was more that I'd been paying and happened to find an old receipt in my car. They had jumped from $13 to $20. Yickes.

A friend swears she paid $8.99 for 18 eggs, so I checked my Costco receipt and it was normal (I can't remember how much because - my brain - ha, but it wasn't $9!)

I'm still noticing the most random stuff is out. At Target: ALL brands of peanut butter (I know the Jif recall is partially to blame), all brands of band-aids, I'd heard there might be an impending Siracha Sauce shortage - already out, shower curtains - the aisle was empty except for one single type in one single color option, towels - hope ya want navy blue, etc.

The thing I've noticed is how prices just seems to jump every week. And things aren't on sale as much as before. I buy k-cups, and in the past Dunkin/Starbucks/X brands might be on sale one week, and then the next week, McDonalds/xxxxx are on sale. Nowadays, nothing's on sale one week, and the following week, one brand might be on sale.

I'm also addicted to Lean Cuisine French bread frozen pizzas. They have gone from $2.69 - and often on sale for $2 - to $3.99. They aren't close to worth that. Bags of salad that used to be $3.89 are now over $5. Reynold's wrap is almost $7! Target brand vanilla flavoring that used to be $3.99 is now $6.99. I spent the extra dollar and got McCormick. The list goes on.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I'm not great at mentally tracking prices for individual items but all the sudden I'm really noticing the rise in prices. Our grocery bill is higher for the same stuff and restaurant meals seem to have really jumped. We ate at a food truck that we like this past weekend. The total for our family alone was $130....for a food truck. It did include our tip but we just wanted some sandwiches for dinner.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Eggs here are highway robbery.

Normal price for 1 dozen regular eggs is now $4.99.

They use to be $1.99/dozen.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I'm not great at mentally tracking prices for individual items but all the sudden I'm really noticing the rise in prices. Our grocery bill is higher for the same stuff and restaurant meals seem to have really jumped. We ate at a food truck that we like this past weekend. The total for our family alone was $130....for a food truck. It did include our tip but we just wanted some sandwiches for dinner.
    I have really noticed the price increase at restaurants. Every restaurant we get takeout from has increased their prices, some fairly significantly. A local fast casual place had sandwiches around $10, and they increased their prices to $14 recently. Since we order online, I can search my emails for receipts and see the price increase since covid hit 2 years ago.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

To be totally honest I haven't noticed much in the way of price increases except for housing and gas! I know it exists but somehow where I shop and what I'm shopping for hasn't changed much. But the cheapest gas around me right now is $6.07 and my parents house is now worth double what it was when they bought it just over ten years ago. Those two price increases are actually devastating to our family!

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Butter is outrageous now. Sam's butter (4#s, sticks) is now just over $14. It used to be $8. Eggs are high, yet chicken thighs are not bad. Who knows?

The price increases are killing me. We have ample pantry space, so I’ve always bought non-perishable staples when they reach my “buy” price rather than when we run out. Now things just never get to my buy price. We actually ran out of pasta because the brand I buy hasn’t been on sale for anywhere near the buy price for so long. DH was not amused. This system worked for me for many years but so many prices are now so high that I just can’t imagine paying it. Like I bought Cheerios the other week even though we are fully stocked on cereal because it was a weekly deal for $1.77 (good) and then I saw the regular price on a standard size box of Cheerios is $5.49! Crackers too are now all over $4-5/box with my previous buy price being $2. Butter is really expensive (buy price $3.50). Eggs are highway robbery but I’m not monitoring it because we have a backyard flock. We got a 1-2 punch on eggs in MA as at the beginning of the year a law weren’t into effect that all eggs have to be cage free (???) so the least expensive options ceased to exist just as prices were starting to shoot up. Eventually I’m just going to have to adjust my expectations but the rapid rise in everything has been hard to shop around.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I have really noticed the price increase at restaurants. Every restaurant we get takeout from has increased their prices, some fairly significantly. A local fast casual place had sandwiches around $10, and they increased their prices to $14 recently. Since we order online, I can search my emails for receipts and see the price increase since covid hit 2 years ago.
    DH and I went out for tacos last night. The price of the tacos had jumped from $3 each to $4 each...but what really stood out is that a side of guac was $8.50. Not a bowl, or even a cup of guac. Literally a 1 1/5 oz side. We did not have guac, but man..did I miss it. I just could not justify the cost, even though we could afford it.

I've been trying to be more frugal about our ordering, but also we've been tipping more. I'm worried that tips are shrinking as folks have sticker shock, which would be tough on staff.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast