Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At DD1's recent high school graduation, administration announced that air horns were prohibited. Families ignored and still used them anyways!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That sounds miserable!! There were none at DC's private school graduation, but I did see a lot of cigars in photos of the local public school (and other private schools). I thought the age to buy tobacco was 21 so I am not sure how the Seniors got ahold of them or what their parents might feel.

As for air horns, that sounds horrendous. Families would not be able to hear speakers or graduate names. Those things are LOUD!!!

Our graduation was held inside and there was a ton of cheering and hooting, but nothing like an AIR HORN!!!!

I hate the air horns. In general the really loud cheering for certain graduates rubs me wrong because it always drowns out the next student being recognized. My nephews graduated inside with lots of obnoxious behavior and horns. Drove me crazy.

DS had a class of just over 400 in an outside stadium. The administration asks for no air horns and keep applause in line. We of course managed to sit in front of one of the three groups who used an air horn.

Never seen cigars. That would bother me also and again a clear violation as campus is a tobacco free area if it did happen. Of course telling a graduating senior this is another issue....

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’ll match your air horns and raise you one obnoxious plane with banner. Summer of 2020 School Board voted to change the name of HS teams mascot from made up first people tribe name to something else, because it was 2020? We had gotten rid of the insulting and out of place mascot in a plain’s headdress a while ago. But the alumni still referred to themselves as “the tribe” and did “tomahawk chops” in stands. I mean, yuck. Majority of students wanted name change, of course vocal minority of alumni and parents went ballistic. All got sorted by start of school 20-21. So graduation June 2021. A real graduation outside. Some jerk hires a plane to fly over with a banner “X tribe forever” before ceremony. A third of audience cheers. Pretty overlapping Venn diagram of parents against masks in schools. Fine, whatever, my kids graduating and my other kid is going to a different school so I never need to talk to these people again. Plane leaves. Then the speakers start. 15 minutes later the plane comes back! It’s buzzing overhead while a student is giving their speech! They should have stopped the proceedings until the plane left, but they didn’t. Luckily it was gone by the time they called names.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I’ll match your air horns and raise you one obnoxious plane with banner. Summer of 2020 School Board voted to change the name of HS teams mascot from made up first people tribe name to something else, because it was 2020? We had gotten rid of the insulting and out of place mascot in a plain’s headdress a while ago. But the alumni still referred to themselves as “the tribe” and did “tomahawk chops” in stands. I mean, yuck. Majority of students wanted name change, of course vocal minority of alumni and parents went ballistic. All got sorted by start of school 20-21. So graduation June 2021. A real graduation outside. Some jerk hires a plane to fly over with a banner “X tribe forever” before ceremony. A third of audience cheers. Pretty overlapping Venn diagram of parents against masks in schools. Fine, whatever, my kids graduating and my other kid is going to a different school so I never need to talk to these people again. Plane leaves. Then the speakers start. 15 minutes later the plane comes back! It’s buzzing overhead while a student is giving their speech! They should have stopped the proceedings until the plane left, but they didn’t. Luckily it was gone by the time they called names.
    how obnoxious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I admit, other parents make me hate grad ceremonies. What’s so hard about being a polite audience member??

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Now I’m thinking about having some kid on the spectrum, finally getting them to the finish line, and having it ruined by sensory overload. Not just kids with this diagnosis, I know my youngest hates loud noises and avoids them.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I admit, other parents make me hate grad ceremonies. What’s so hard about being a polite audience member??

I know that many people enjoy (well-run) graduation ceremonies but I think the last one of mine I attended was my HS grad (back in the Stone Age). It was disrupted by a bomb threat back when those were extremely uncommon. I managed to skip both my college and grad school ceremonies without any regret. (I did attend DC's HS, college and grad school ceremonies, but those were all pretty uneventful.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2