Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Air fryer rec for the dorm?

DS wants to bring an air fryer to the dorm because he hears they can toast bread and toasters are not allowed. I've never used an air fryer or shopped for one so could use some help here. Brands? Size? Etc. Thanks!
    Kris

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just looked it up and it says “no cooking tool that does not have an automatic shut off feature. Anytime a student is cooking or heating food in an approved device, they must stay with it to avoid a fire situation.” So make sure it has auto off.

That said, I think Dd had an illegal toaster 🙄 but they kept it unplugged. Best to avoid that, though.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Air fryer rec for the dorm?

No experience with air fryers, but are you sure that they’re allowed? From a quick glance at Amazon, it looks like air fryers draw a fair amount of electricity, similar to or more than toasters, and they don’t look a lot safer. Maybe they’re new enough that the list of what’s permitted hasn’t been updated.

ETA: if I’m on the wrong track, I hope someone will correct me. This will be good to know when DGD1 heads off to college in … gasp! … a year

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Yes, I would check to see if air fryers are approved. They don’t seem safer than toasters.

I have a cuisinart air fryer that looks like a big toaster oven. You can cook anything in it…toast, frozen pizza, hamburgers, cookies, roasted potatoes, etc.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I can’t imagine it’s allowed. No cooking appliances at all at ours

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

University of Florida allows mini fridge microwaves and air fryers in dorm rooms. I picked up an air fryer a couple weeks ago at
    Costco for $39 on sale I don’t remember what brand or size. It will be used for grilled cheese cheese sticks frozen calamari and bacon and may be a few other things when he’s starving at night A small microwave at Walmart for $44 They have a kitchen on each floor of the dorm he’s in I found a cute retro mini fridge in red on clearance at Home Depot

Get on Facebook and looke for your university parent groups they usually know for sure and can give suggestions
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

They are allowed as long as they have an automatic shut-off. His suite comes with a fridge and microwave, so set on those.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    University of Florida allows mini fridge microwaves and air fryers in dorm rooms. I picked up an air fryer a couple weeks ago at
    Costco for $39 on sale I don’t remember what brand or size. It will be used for grilled cheese cheese sticks frozen calamari and bacon and may be a few other things when he’s starving at night A small microwave at Walmart for $44 They have a kitchen on each floor of the dorm he’s in I found a cute retro mini fridge in red on clearance at Home Depot

Get on Facebook and looke for your university parent groups they usually know for sure and can give suggestions

I hadn't thought of grilled cheese. That will be great.

An employee of the housing department is on the parent group and has verified air fryers are allowed if they have an auto shut-off.
    Kris

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No cooking appliances allowed at DC's college. The only way to even have a microwave is the rent the MicroFridge from the college. No way would an AirFryer be allowed... DC is crushed they cannot bring a rice maker...

I would double check and make sure it's allowed before purchasing...

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    No cooking appliances allowed at DC's college. The only way to even have a microwave is the rent the MicroFridge from the college. No way would an AirFryer be allowed... DC is crushed they cannot bring a rice maker...

I would double check and make sure it's allowed before purchasing...

As long as it has an automatic shut-off, it is allowed. I'll pick one out and have it shipped here instead of college so we can learn to use it before he leaves.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast