Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Summer rhythms...What is working for you?

My summer schedule is actually working for me! Usually I get totally overwhelmed and exhausted but I came up with a structure that seems to be giving my kids what they need (active time, outside time, quiet time, friend time, etc.) and what I need (time for my job and to take care of my other responsibilities) without making me crazy!

I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone. If somebody else has something that is working for them, please share here too!

So, I have two teenagers. They can attend any of these activities but they actually have a fair amount of camps/week long activities that are occurring this summer which I feel like is the absolute best thing they could be doing! DS1 is attending a college aged camp for our church that is happening at a local college campus and a week long outdoor activity with some friends in the Western Sierras also with DS2. DS2 is attending scout camp as well as "trek" which is a activity where youth in our area do a pioneer reenactment (also a church thing). We're doing two vacations this year. One rescheduled as we were supposed to go to Yellowstone and then our yearly trip to Mammoth Lakes.

So my first key here is CAMPS. I know that isn't earthshattering but having my teens productively engaged is helping the peace of our family a lot!

Then for my little kids, I work 20 hours a week but only have 5 hours where they go over to their grandparents house. I've worked it out as follows:

I work one hour every morning from 6 to 7 am M-F. Then I work 3 days a week M, W, F, from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Each morning we engage in a small (or bigger) activity.

M--Errands (sounds weird but my kids are out of practice being on errands since the pandemic and while they don't love doing them I think it is actually good for their social skills. I MAKE them come but they seem to actually like the variety!)

T--Excursion Day. Since I don't work in the afternoon I can be gone longer if need be..

W--Wednesday Friends' Day. Invite someone over or meet someone at a park.

Th--Beach Day. Also can be a longer day.

F--Library Day.

They go to their grandparents on T, and F. That means that T I can actually get real errands done and not worry about work!

For my work days, here's my structure:

12:00 Noon Lunch and read aloud
    1:00 Quiet Time
    2:30 Quiet Time snack and free time
    4:30 Chores. I make them clean a zone and their room every single day.
    5:00 Shows. Electronics in the way of watching videos or TV is allowed from 5 to 6.

While there are 2.5 hours in there without supervision, usually if we've properly gone out for the morning/and separated for quiet time, kids will play somewhat nicely during those hours. On Tuesdays and Fridays I drop the kids off at their grandparents from 2:30 to 5:00. So we all get a little quiet.

I'm surprised that working in the afternoon is working for me. I'm 100% a morning person! My day starts before 5:00 so I'm kinda toasted after about 3pm. However, my job is easier than wrangling my kids! One summer I tried working until noon each day and THEN going out and I hated it. I was toast at noon and had no desire to leave the house. So this rhythm works best for me.

What are you doing that works?

I’m very fortunate to work for an employer with very generous PTO. This summer, I take every Fridays off and that is our large excursion/outing days like amusement parks, drive down the shore for beach day, etc. Also taking 4 weeks off altogether this summer spread out; one week this week, another week during July 4th week, another week end of July and last week mid august.

Wednesdays is my lightest day so I use that for afternoons local trips or go to community pool with a friend or two of theirs. DS2 is participating in his league baseball games that goes on for 5 weeks from mid June to mid July, with 3 games during week evenings and he enjoys that.

Both boys go to day camps from 8:30 to 1pm M-F so that gives me solid mornings and thru lunch to work. I pick up again in late evening to tie up loose ends of work responsibilities. We’re doing a week of vacation down the shore in august as always, it’s on early side of month instead of end of month as in years past. Changing it up as boys have their soccer training end of august. Also doing local weekend trips away like western MA on a lake with other families, upstate NY, and the shore at our friends house.

Also ds1 is doing two separate sleep away camps. One in state about 2 hours away for soccer, and other upstate NY for 2.5 weeks long. He’s excited about those, as it was postponed due to Covid, and now at 11 he’s very ready for some independence from home a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD's final day of school was 6/20, so we're unwinding from the "go-go-go" mornings of school days and trying to figure out what we should do until she starts day-camp on 7/11.

After that week at camp, she has another open week, followed by another week at camp, then the extended-fam vacation, then her final week of camp.

We have all of August wide open as well.

In the meantime, DH wants to get a boat ... and I just ... I can't.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just finished school on Thursday of this past week so Friday was the first day of summer vacation. town rec camp (8:30-1:30) was starting today but we have rain in the forecast so they cancelled and will start tomorrow. It's a 6 week camp and for some odd reason this summer, a TON of middle school kids are signed up!

DS has 1 week of Boy Scout sleep away camp in August, then our family vacation and then he has a week with Camp Kesem. I'm excited for both camp opportunities for him this year!

Mine just finished school the week before last. We spent the first half of last week on a little trip to New Hampshire with my parents, and the kids are in camp this week. So next week will be the first week of trying to figure out what to do with them all summer…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ours had 3 weeks of busy camps, and the next 3 weeks are just morning and evening swim team. We needs some midday structure so I’ll grab ideas here.

The last 3 weeks are me having laparoscopic fibroid surgery and staying home, so that’s going to be boring. Guessi can ask the DC to plan amd cook all the meals!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Rhythms? What's that?

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Rhythms? What's that?
    Right there with you. I went back to work last month after 16 years as a SAHM and our family routine is best described as "unholy amounts of screen time, I"m in a meeting don't bug me."
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

When my kids were little I know we were all much better off if we left the house in the morning. It did not matter what we did or really how long we were gone, but coming home made it feel new and yes, separation was easier.

My 12 and 15 year olds do a strength and agility camp Monday through Thursday mornings at 9 am. They usually ride bikes, so get up at 8 and go. It's just enough to start the day for all of us and only lasts an hour, so we move from that starting point.

I love a good routine.

June was a complete blur. DS got out of school on June 3 and went to basketball camp (local) the next week. Then we were busy with basketball practice for his AAU team and a couple of weekend tournaments, including one overnight. All the while, I was making final preparations for our cruise, which was the last week of June (last week).

So now, basketball is done and we're back form the cruise -- with COVID! lol And things slow way down. I'm planning to sign DS up for at least one more week of bball camp, possibly two. Our friends who own a beach condo just had a cancellation in August, so I'm planning to scoop up those days at a price break. But that's it. DH and I are both working from home, and I'm just looking forward to long, relaxing summer days and getting together with friends on a few weekends.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast