Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Where should we focus our support?

In light of yesterday’s overturn of Roe, where should we focus our donations for the most impact? Abortion access funds? Political campaigns in states possible to flip? Somewhere else?
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-25-2022 at 08:58 AM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I feel like the immediate need is going to be funds for access. In TX there's FundTexasChoice.org...I don't know about other states but would think there are similar nonprofits?

In my fit of rage last night, I donated to several places because I had to do something:
    Our state abortion fund (Carolina Abortion Fund, which covers both NC and SC). You probably have an equivalent.
    SisterSong
    Planned Parenthood (in honor Clarence Thomas because I just needed that little dig personally)

I think the most important long-term contribution to make is becoming more active in politics, volunteering with campaigns of pro-choice candidates and participating in voter registration drives. This is a long run game.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Diaper banks, food banks that provide food and maybe formula to families or parents in need. My local Jr. League runs a diaper bank (and I hope there might be a way to start a formula bank as well) and I posted the link to donate on my social media. All of the normal places mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just an opinion....

We choose to foucs on preventing unwanted pregnancy. Sex education (at middle and high school), and birth control access for all ages and genders. Also consent issues/date rape/safety. Don't just educate the girls. We have boys - it's our responsibility to raise respectful, knowledgable men. My mother laughs, but we have a drawer in our guest bathroom will condoms in it - and a sign on the counter to please take what you need. We never have had huge numbers taken - but a few here and there.
    We as a country really need to work on fixing the supports for poor parents. Increased support for foster care, WIC, and the (actual) enforcement of child support payments would solve a lot of problems. So would expanded daycare support for parents still in school to be able to finish thier education and be better able to support thier kids.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Diaper banks, food banks that provide food and maybe formula to families or parents in need. My local Jr. League runs a diaper bank (and I hope there might be a way to start a formula bank as well) and I posted the link to donate on my social media. All of the normal places mentioned above.

Only caution on this is that some of the organizations providing free baby supplies are actually anti-choice groups funded by conservative religions groups that have a strong anti-choice message for vulnerable young pregnant women. (Junior League sounds like a great option!)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We as a country really need to work on fixing the supports for poor parents. Increased support for foster care, WIC, and the (actual) enforcement of child support payments would solve a lot of problems. So would expanded daycare support for parents still in school to be able to finish thier education and be better able to support thier kids.
    We need to stop treating poverty as a moral failing for that to happen.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Find your location abortion group that will help fund abortions for people who need them--including money to travel, stay in a hotel, etc. I live in a state with a trigger law and just donated to my local fund. Find yours--or find the one for a state that has outlawed abortion at:
    https://abortionfunds.org

I volunteered as a Planned Parenthood educator for 20 years. Did my part on the prevention. This is a crisis. We need to help now. We can worry about policy issues later.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree that prevention should be a priority in the long term- I too used to volunteer for PP eons ago on their hotline- but right now I think I will focus on funding pro choice politicians and volunteering to get them elected. Also maybe helping people in red states access abortions, perhaps the pill if appropriate. Admittedly, I don’t know much about that or how to go about it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Only caution on this is that some of the organizations providing free baby supplies are actually anti-choice groups funded by conservative religions groups that have a strong anti-choice message for vulnerable young pregnant women. (Junior League sounds like a great option!)
    Yes quite aware of that as I am Catholic, but after looking at the National Diaper Bank registry there are diaper banks run by people of all walks of life, celebrities, large non profits, religious non profits, and ones whose missions are to support fathers. So you can easily vet ones in your area or region. There are also some that are run as part of food banks so diapers aren’t their number one focus. Most partner with community organizations and some like my Jr. League distribute to community partners and straight to families (we have no income limit either) and can only give out 50 diapers per month per child, but every little bit helps.

There will be Catholic charities on the list so avoid those then (although the one for Denver, Colorado didn’t listed pro pregnancy but the one from Wilmington, Delaware did), but if women are having babies and don’t have the income then there needs to be this option available and while many are state run there are others that are not and run simply on donations and volunteers. My organization has one paid a staff, a part time office manager, and way less sponsors than celebrity backed Baby2Be in Los Angeles, but still have the same mission.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-26-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast