Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    This. It is very expensive to support disabled people for a lifetime. If a state gets to decide these things, then said state shouldn't receive federal dollars for the care of those who need it. What's to stop States from questioning people's genetic makeup and decide that procreation in those with lifetime hc issues or rare genetic diseases shouldn't bear children? My friend has a very rare genetic disease. Her son has it too. If he has children, they have a very high chance of having it. Should the state decide he should be sterilized then? People who think this can't happen aren't paying attention.
    People forget that this actually has happened here. I had a great aunt sterilized in the era of eugenics here in the US- the WWII era saw a lot of government decisions on reproductive rights for individuals deemed unfit to have children.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    People forget that this actually has happened here. I had a great aunt sterilized in the era of eugenics here in the US- the WWII era saw a lot of government decisions on reproductive rights for individuals deemed unfit to have children.
    North Carolina had one of the longest running state eugenics programs in the US, from 1929 to 1974. About a decade ago, the state funded a $10 million compensation program for people who were involuntarily sterilized. That made national news. Not sure whether other states did the same. In any case, a bit of history that too many people have forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    North Carolina had one of the longest running state eugenics programs in the US, from 1929 to 1974. About a decade ago, the state funded a $10 million compensation program for people who were involuntarily sterilized. That made national news. Not sure whether other states did the same. In any case, a bit of history that too many people have forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    to 1974....... that's mind-boggling.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    to 1974....... that's mind-boggling.
    I think that was around the time marital take was outlawed for the first time also. So women who were estranged, living separately from their husbands, often unable to get divorced easily could be legally rape by their husbands…because all we are good for is sex and childbearing. See the connection? I distinctive remember it making the news when I was a tween thinking, WTF?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4