Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carpet

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Carpet

Talk to me about traditional wall to wall. Prices, materials, styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't do it? LOL I'm halfway joking though if I had a choice and the budget to do so, I would get rid of ALL the wall-to-wall carpeting in our house. But if you must have carpet then I definitely recommend an upgraded pad underneath - that will help you preserve the life of the carpet.

Pets and kids, you need an option that's easy to clean and it would also be worth having a good carpet cleaner (wet extraction) on hand, even if it's one of the little green Bissell portable ones, for accidents in between professional cleanings. Carpet cannot be taken up like a rug to clean it.

Patterns hide dirt. Patterns are generally more expensive to install, if there's a directionality and/or pattern matching needed. I actually love patterns in carpets. We recently put carpet treads on our stairs and went with the Anderson Tuftex line in a pet-friendly fiber (Anderson Tuftex Perfection in Willow: https://andersontuftex.com/carpet/de.../willow-00558/), and it has a tweed look to it but remains neutral. It's only been a year but this is our staircase which gets heavy traffic. It still looks braaaand new and I'm very pleased with it.

Generally for pets you don't want a looped carpet (pet nails), but we keep our dog nails short and smooth and this Tuftex has held up great.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love carpet. I always feel like an outlier here.
    We only ever had to buy for one room and it was the perfect size for a remnant so we didn’t really research brands. I just knew I wanted a good pad (I got a pet pad despite not having pets) and went for a dense carpet.
    We have patterned on our stairs but we aren’t the type to replace things when we tire of it so a solid works better (less likely to get sick of it long before it wears out).
    I’ll take dusty capers every day of the week for the comfort and warmth it lends. We have a good mix now- real hardwoods downstairs, wall to wall up (minus the hall)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn’t have carpet for 15 years and now that I have it again I won’t be without in our bedrooms. I love the feel of hardwood on raised foundation but the feeling of carpet under my feet is amazing. I prefer a plusher carpet to a Berber. I agree that an upgraded floor pad probably helps a ton. Remember that most carpet lasts at least 20 years so get something that you know you will love. I had gray carpet in a condo I lived in and it always looked dirty. I would stay away from anything cream or white too. We have a medium beige in our bedrooms and it works. My parents have Carpet One and have had it for about 20 years and are happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I love carpet. I always feel like an outlier here.
    We only ever had to buy for one room and it was the perfect size for a remnant so we didn’t really research brands. I just knew I wanted a good pad (I got a pet pad despite not having pets) and went for a dense carpet.
    We have patterned on our stairs but we aren’t the type to replace things when we tire of it so a solid works better (less likely to get sick of it long before it wears out).
    I’ll take dusty capers every day of the week for the comfort and warmth it lends. We have a good mix now- real hardwoods downstairs, wall to wall up (minus the hall)

I also love carpet. It is a must have for me in bedrooms and the family room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My advice is don’t go too light. Stains even slight stains are hidden much better with darker carpets.
    K

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both our rentals have carpeted bedrooms.

Over time, the carpet we got from Home Depot has held up really well- its a fairly plush beige over an upgraded pet-safe pad. Definitely upgrade the pad.

We clean it between tenants and it still looks and feels great. It just keeps on going.

In our second rental, we got a cheaper carpet over an upgraded pad. It’s grey and I agree with PP that that color hasn’t held up as well. Our tenants are very happy with it though.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So we are finishing our attic and choosing between vinyl or carpet. This won’t get a ton a traffic but I do have a shedding dog. I live in a cold climate and am looking forward to the warmth and padding carpet provides.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I remembered reading about carpet on a design blog for the first time in forever! It was a post by Emily Henderson and I think it is this one:

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/bl...ren-room-ideas

All I know about carpeting is that it seems like it is worth it to buy quality. My parents current home has really nice carpeting. It is old and it has held up so well. When it is cleaned it still looks perfect. I know nothing of the brand or anything else--only that the original homeowner bought the best stuff and seems to be have been a good strategy. Even my parent's older dog started having accidents on it and it cleans up effortlessly.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have carpet in our bedrooms only (wood floors everywhere else) and it’s held up great, I have zero complaints. It was chosen by my designer 8 years ago and is a looped Berber kind of thing (so has a bit of high/low to it, which I think hides stains and wear) and is in a medium tone grey. We have a golden retriever who seemingly sheds a full coat everyday and 2 cats who occasionally throw up on the carpet and you’d never know, there aren’t any lasting stains. My husband cleans it once/year with a home Bissell cleaner and it looks almost as good as the day we installed it. In my bedroom we have a main walk-through path (to get to closet/bathroom) and I just moved a bench this morning that’s at the end of my bed with pristine carpet beneath it and the walk-through path and pristine carpet look almost exactly the same. Have I sold you yet lol?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast