chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Occulus Quest - Would you recommend?

My son has an opportunity to buy a used Occulus Quest from a friend. I'm wondering, for those that have these, how have you found them? Are they as addicting as video games? Can you use it solo? Any concerns?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ours gets some use. If it isn’t too pricey, go for it. Ds2 mostly uses it. Far less addictive than normal video games because you need more breaks physically (whether because you played a really active game or the motion stuff gets to you)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 11 year old really likes his. It goes in phases. He’s been playing it more lately, then he might not for a month or two. If it’s a good deal, go for it.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have it’s predecessor the Oculus Go and while it is pretty cool, it wasn’t used that often once the novelty wore off. That said, the Quest is supposed to be much better and I would be tempted to get one if I could for a bargain. So from my experience, not super addicting. My favorite app was one called Wander. It uses Google Maps Street View to allow you to walk around places all over the world. I loved that. In fact, this is making me want to dig it out and check a few places out. DS and I just want on a trip to 4 colleges and I bet I could give DH an idea of what we saw and liked or didn’t like about each of them. And I bet DS could get a feel for some of the schools we aren’t able to get to. I also like it for walking an area that I might be traveling to if I want to be more familiar with the area before arriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We have it’s predecessor the Oculus Go and while it is pretty cool, it wasn’t used that often once the novelty wore off. That said, the Quest is supposed to be much better and I would be tempted to get one if I could for a bargain. So from my experience, not super addicting. My favorite app was one called Wander. It uses Google Maps Street View to allow you to walk around places all over the world. I loved that. In fact, this is making me want to dig it out and check a few places out. DS and I just want on a trip to 4 colleges and I bet I could give DH an idea of what we saw and liked or didn’t like about each of them. And I bet DS could get a feel for some of the schools we aren’t able to get to. I also like it for walking an area that I might be traveling to if I want to be more familiar with the area before arriving.

DH has an Oculus (not sure exactly which one) and my father and father in law both really like using it for this. DS is 8 and likes to use it to pretend he is hanging around outside the international space station. I think DH mostly uses it for racing type games.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Question about the Wander app. Video games of all types are a total unknown to me but this sounds cool. With Oculus, do you just walk in place? How do you move along the street?
    mom to Billy 12/07

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Question about the Wander app. Video games of all types are a total unknown to me but this sounds cool. With Oculus, do you just walk in place? How do you move along the street?
    With the Go, the predecessor to the Quest, there is a simple remote you hold in one hand, plus you can turn your head. So you feel immersed in the scene but you don’t physically walk to move. I think this is also the case with the Quest but the remote(s) might be more complex. The pictures are the same as what you find in street views on Google Maps, but the sense of being there is greater because of the headset. You can be transported to random places or choose where to go (like your childhood home). Places that have been recorded by Google multiple times will show the different years you can choose from to view.

Another game we enjoyed was one where the person in the headset is trying to diffuse a bomb while the person not wearing the headset is trying to give them instructions from a manual you print out on your home printer. The person in the headset is describing what they see while the outsider is trying to look up what to do for that.

The rollercoaster type things are fun, but I get a bit motion sick after a while.