gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default A shout out to our Wisconsin Boy Scout troops

We were holding our breath when the first stories came out about the train derailing. We know some of these kids and Dh and my boys were on that train back from Philmont, New Mexico last summer. I whine here a lot about some aspects of the Boy Scouts but this is the second time in 6 months I’ve known of scouts administering first aid to seriously injured people. I can’t deny that the Scouting organizations are making a positive impact on kids. I’m proud my kids and our family are involved.

https://www.wbay.com/2022/06/27/appl...outputType=amp
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So glad they can be helpers and the hands and feet!
    K

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    We were holding our breath when the first stories came out about the train derailing. We know some of these kids and Dh and my boys were on that train back from Philmont, New Mexico last summer. I whine here a lot about some aspects of the Boy Scouts but this is the second time in 6 months I’ve known of scouts administering first aid to seriously injured people. I can’t deny that the Scouting organizations are making a positive impact on kids. I’m proud my kids and our family are involved.

https://www.wbay.com/2022/06/27/appl...outputType=amp
    Wow! I heard about Boy Scout involvement on a national news segment! (Maybe the Today show?) Great job indeed!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That’s great! Whenever our Girl Scouts get their first aid and CPR training renewed, the trainers talk about how few people get certification. It definitely is a benefit to the general population that a good portion of BS and GS are trained. It’d be a great addition to our regular school curriculum.

My older two have jumped in to help with injuries and at school both have helped students going through asthma attacks. Just based on their experiences I would guess there are many unrecorded acts of help from GS and BS (in my son’s case former BS, his training is now through medical internships) across the country thanks to their training. It gets them past the “freeze” response and into action.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow! That’s wonderful that they had the training and got to use the skills in real life!
    And yes, PP, I agree it’s a great benefit of GS/BS!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is really great! I agree with a PP that that would be a good subject matter to learn in school! I think I'll share this with our local group and with my two scouts.

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I read an article today in the Washington Post about all of assistance the scouts on the train gave. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...in-derailment/ I immediately thought of this thread! It was great to read about how they all jumped in to help in any way they could using their training and even figuring out how to do things they weren't trained to do. Great job! (If you aren't able to read the article and want to, let me know and I can send the article to you.)
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmom View Post
    I read an article today in the Washington Post about all of assistance the scouts on the train gave. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...in-derailment/ I immediately thought of this thread! It was great to read about how they all jumped in to help in any way they could using their training and even figuring out how to do things they weren't trained to do. Great job! (If you aren't able to read the article and want to, let me know and I can send the article to you.)
    That’s a great article. Thank you for sharing that link.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    ... Just based on their experiences I would guess there are many unrecorded acts of help from GS and BS (in my son’s case former BS, his training is now through medical internships) across the country thanks to their training. It gets them past the “freeze” response and into action.
    I agree; this is a huge reason why I get my GS troop to earn their First Aid badges for their level early on - you never know when it'll come in handy, and having that kind of practice helps you stay calm & jump in when you need to.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle