Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Fun family movies that we forgot about?

We're heading up to an extended family vacation in the mountains. In this group they often like watching a movie together in the evenings. In the past we've really loved watching older movies! They don't have to be classics or super old! Even just a decade ago but we forgot about them somehow!

Examples of movies we've enjoyed are everything from The Music Man to Galaxy Quest! Clean is important because we do prefer to watch them with kids around.

Would love to hear any suggestions you might have! I'm working to find where on streaming we can find these and have something we can watch each night.

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

National Treasure
    Night at the Museum
    Alexander and the no good very bad day (something like that)
    Goonies

I don’t know what you mean by clean but those would all be movies I’d show my kids 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure what your threshold on "clean" is and ages of kids but here are ones that we enjoyed:

Any Marvel movie. If you're not a fan, the standalone movies are great, particularly Antman. And Guardians of the Galaxy is a favorite here but does have some "unclean" lolol.
    The Princess Bride
    CODA (some unclean language!)
    Wonder
    The latest Ghostbusters with Paul Rudd
    Little Miss Sunshine (so unclean lol but will go over little kids' heads except for the language)
    Pick of the Litter
    Marley and Me
    Togo
    Beethoven
    The Greatest Showman (some unclean?)
    Alexander and the no good... was surprisingly good!
    Any of the Sandra Bullock rom coms!
    Speed! LOL
    Sorry, not the greatest list...

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Alexander and the no good very bad day (something like that)
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day ... inspired by the Judith Viorst book of the same title.

Goonies ...
    If memory serves, there are (more than) a couple of cuss words in it, but it's not racy or otherwise inappropriate for the under-10 set. IDK how OP would feel about it for her youngest kids.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Andre - The seal
    Night at the Museum
    Chestnut (about a Great Dane in NY City)
    The Muppet Movies
    The Parent Trap
    Cool Runnings
    Big Miracle
    Nancy Drew

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Babe (the one about the pig) is a favorite for kids and adults in my house
    It's been several years, but we all loved the Winnie the Pooh movie. It's silly and sweet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day ... inspired by the Judith Viorst book of the same title.

If memory serves, there are (more than) a couple of cuss words in it, but it's not racy or otherwise inappropriate for the under-10 set. IDK how OP would feel about it for her youngest kids.
    I know the book and movie… it just has too many adjectives for me to try and remember.

True on the swear words. A non issue for us and the good would outweigh those.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Charlotte’s Web with Dakota Fanning
    Ramona and Beezus (or Beezus and Ramona? I never can remember)
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I lean towards Classic movies when looking for stuff that doesn't have cuss words or risqué situations, like the stuff you'd have found on TCM before they lost a chunk of their movie catalogue to HBO/HBO Max!

With the 4th coming up, I like 1776 (can rent on Prime Video for ~$3) - caveats:

(1) "Sit Down, John!" contains the repeated line "for G-d's sake, John, sit down!"
    (2) In dialogue, the word "bastard" is used to describe Ben Franklin's (acknowledged bastard) son, William, who was the Royal/Loyalist Governor of NJ at the time
    (3)And there's a lot of implied sexual intercourse w/r/t Tom & Martha Jefferson (first implied during "But Mr Adams" and more than hinted at just ahead of "He Plays the Violin")
    (4) Franklin mentions "drinking a whoring" when referring to a trip to New Brunswick (NJ) ... which I thought was hilarious, having attended Rutgers' New Brunswick campus
    (5) Like Hamilton, the guys responsible for 1776 played a little fast-and-loose with the historical timeline (especially having Martha Jefferson travel to Philadelphia in the summer of 1776 - she was recovering from a miscarriage in VA at the time) but it's otherwise fine

DD and I love The Wizard of Oz (HBO Max) ... and we also have had LONG discussions about what had to change from the book to the screen, because we love both.

I like Victor/Victoria, but it's a bit risqué - nothing is particularly in-your-face like, say, Rent, but it's another YMMV for OP; it's a Blake Edwards farce starring Julie Andrews as an out-of-work musician who teams up with a broke nightclub owner, portrayed by Robert Preston (you'd recognize him as Professor Harold Hill in The Music Man), to create an act as a female impersonator. Complications, and comedy, ensue.

Show Boat is another one I enjoy; HBO Max has the 1936 version, in which legendary Bass-Baritone (and Rutgers alumnus) Paul Robeson reprises his role from the stage production and that, in my opinion, is worth the price of admission because it's one of the earliest recordings of what would become his signature song, "Old Man River." Caveat: alcoholism & gambling addiction are plot points, but due to the Hays Code, they're not as graphic as they might be today.

And, of course, Meet Me in St Louis is a favorite - my sister and I used to watch it together at Christmas time, so I text her ever time it's on TV. (This is also on HBO Max.)

In the TCM section of HBO Max, they also have a bunch of Charlie Chaplin pictures. I recommend Modern Times, The Gold Rush and The Great Dictator. I also have a soft spot for The Immigrant, because every time it showed on TV, my father would say it reminded him of stories my great-grandmother told about making the Atlantic crossing. If Chaplin's not your thing, they've also got a bunch of Harold Lloyd films!

I Married a Witch is another one of my favorites; YMMV, but Veronica Lake is a vision in it. (She and her co-star, Fredrick March, HAAAATED each other & would antagonize each other on set. It's astonishing that their screen chemistry is so good!) For a variation on the "witch in disguise" theme, I recommend Bell, Book and Candle, starring Kim Novak & James Stewart (even if he's too old for the part.)

Speaking of James Stewart, he's an absolute delight as Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey.

A Hard Day's Night is hilarious, too - it's The Beatles' first film, directed by Richard Lester, and it's pretty much an extended music video with a loose plot. It's got a wonderful sequence that cemented my love for Ringo forever and ever, but some of the one-liners are things I try very hard not to reference unless someone else has seen the film. (Find it on HBO Max)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 06-28-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

True on the swear words. A non issue for us and the good would outweigh those. ...
    Yeah, it's a non-issue for me, too, but I know OP tends to prefer less-sweary content for her family.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast