Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I looked quickly and didn't see it mentioned yet. Our family always loved Kicking and Screaming with Will Farrell.
    I doubt there's anything too offensive in it.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought The Apple Dumpling Gang was hilarious when I was little. I'll have to watch it again to see if I still think that!

Staying on the 70s Disney theme:
    Candleshoe
    Escape to Witch Mountain
    The Cat from Outer Space
    The Shaggy D.A.

And throw in a few 80s flicks:
    Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    Max Dugan Returns
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Goonies

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

If memory serves, there are (more than) a couple of cuss words in it, but it's not racy or otherwise inappropriate for the under-10 set. IDK how OP would feel about it for her youngest kids.
    Slightly off topic, but I just watched Goonies for the first time ever when my ILs visited and wanted to show my DDs. I didn't have the "this-is-a-great-movie-from-my-childhood-I-loved" lens to watch it through as I'd never seen it before. Ultimately it's nothing horrific, but there is zero way that movie would get a PG rating today, and I was quite shocked several times and not happy that my 6 year old was watching it. (although they're all mild curse words, there's *a lot* of them.... there's a scene early on where a young kid is pretending to translate Spanish and the captions to what he's saying are about sexual torture devices and stuff like that.....) While we're lenient in some areas we're quite conservative about the media our kids consume, and I was not thrilled with this one.
    Lizi

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmom View Post
    I thought The Apple Dumpling Gang was hilarious when I was little. I'll have to watch it again to see if I still think that!

Staying on the 70s Disney theme:
    Candleshoe
    Escape to Witch Mountain
    The Cat from Outer Space
    The Shaggy D.A.

And throw in a few 80s flicks:
    Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    Max Dugan Returns
    I love Max Dugan Returns (probably because my mom took me to see it in the theater as a kid) and my kids were surprised to really enjoy Candleshoe a few years ago. We also ate big fans of Pee-Wes’s Big Adventure.

I didn’t see the three Narnia movies on the list (although someone might have mentioned them). We also loved Freaky Friday. And I didn’t see the Princess Diaries on the list although those are very fun. I especially love that Julie Andrew’s in them.

We also LOVE the Jumanji movies which are clean and hilarious. Other classics in our house that both kids and parents enjoy are Monsters vs Aliens and Megamind. The political references are hilarious.

And even though they are Christmas movies we love Elf and Home Alone.

Dh loves CHOMPS from 1979 about the robot dog with Valerie Bettinelli.

Did anyone mention the Gene Wilder movies Willie Wanka and the Chocolate Factory? Or Young Frankenstein (although this has some questionable stuff, it went right over my elementary-aged kids’ heads).

All the Muppet Movies are great too.

Of course Indiana Jones! And all the Star Wars movies! All the National Treasures and Night at the Museums! So much fun.

Some of these sciency ones are fun- War Games, Contact (although there is a scene where 2 characters are shown in bed together the day after uh hem. No nudity or swearing), more recent Intersteller, the Martian, Hidden Figures.

We loved The Hunt for Red October too. Might have some light swearing and some violence.

If Goonies aren’t your speed, definitely stay away from Back to the Future. The scene with Biff and Elaine in the car will be hard to explain to the kiddos.

Eta- we still love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, as well as the Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and The hobbit movies.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-29-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I just watched Goonies for the first time ever when my ILs visited and wanted to show my DDs. I didn't have the "this-is-a-great-movie-from-my-childhood-I-loved" lens to watch it through as I'd never seen it before. Ultimately it's nothing horrific, but there is zero way that movie would get a PG rating today, and I was quite shocked several times and not happy that my 6 year old was watching it. (although they're all mild curse words, there's *a lot* of them.... there's a scene early on where a young kid is pretending to translate Spanish and the captions to what he's saying are about sexual torture devices and stuff like that.....) While we're lenient in some areas we're quite conservative about the media our kids consume, and I was not thrilled with this one.
    I had a similar experience renting Goonies for my kids years ago. Turned it off in the first 10 minutes after hearing “sexual torture device”. I’d let them watch now as teens but I was caught off guard at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never tire of:
    Arthur and the Invisibles
    The Incredibles
    The Aristocats
    Robinhood (Disney with foxes as Robin and Maid Marian)

The recent Jungle Cruise movie was actually really good!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Remembering that my kids didn’t like Goonies either. They totally love Back to the Future though.
    Jumanji (new ones) are movies I’ll always stop for when flipping though what’s on tv. So fun! I think I like them more than the kids do. Heck, no one would watch Jungle Cruise with me a few months back but I liked it. When they were little, they would have liked it too. Just rewatched Paddington last night- that one is a total gem!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I just watched Goonies for the first time ever when my ILs visited and wanted to show my DDs. I didn't have the "this-is-a-great-movie-from-my-childhood-I-loved" lens to watch it through as I'd never seen it before. ... there's a scene early on where a young kid is pretending to translate Spanish and the captions to what he's saying are about sexual torture devices and stuff like that.....) While we're lenient in some areas we're quite conservative about the media our kids consume, and I was not thrilled with this one.
    Oh, yeah, Mouth is ... a piece of work - Corey Feldman is freaking phenomenal in the role, but that translation bit ... yes, I actually agree about the general level of sweariness and that scene is honestly the first that comes to mind - even with the nostalgia bomb it is for me! - when people talk about the movie.

DD is 12 and I still waffle about showing it to her without having re-watched it. I honestly think she'd be offended!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would NOT recommend Young Frankenstein... DC insists we watch it every year on vacation (the house we rent has the DVD); there are a ton of sexual references. I am always uncomfortable watching it in a room with three generations ...

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Oh, yeah, Mouth is ... a piece of work - Corey Feldman is freaking phenomenal in the role, but that translation bit ... yes, I actually agree about the general level of sweariness and that scene is honestly the first that comes to mind - even with the nostalgia bomb it is for me! - when people talk about the movie.

DD is 12 and I still waffle about showing it to her without having re-watched it. I honestly think she'd be offended!
    ...funny you say that about your DD.....my 10 yo DD definitely did not approve. She pulled me aside to tell me very seriously that she was questioning her grandparents' judgement that they had wanted to show the movie so much, and asked me to review movies before they show them next time. (which I had to both laugh and sigh at because what 10 year old complains like that???)
    Lizi

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast