Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    ...funny you say that about your DD.....my 10 yo DD definitely did not approve. ... (which I had to both laugh and sigh at because what 10 year old complains like that???)
    My sister would do the same when she was younger!

If I make the time, I pre-screen new stuff or re-watch older stuff, but I can't always make the time.

However, for movies I've seen a million times, like Ghostbusters or even The Neverending Story, both of which I saw in the movie theater during their first runs, I'm gonna have to re-watch with 21st-century eyes.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmom View Post
    I thought The Apple Dumpling Gang was hilarious when I was little. I'll have to watch it again to see if I still think that!
    We LOVE the Apple Dumpling Gang...

Another good movie is Unaccompanied Minors (BUT the kids have to be beyond believing in Santa Claus).

I have a child who "cannot be touched" so it's fun to watch movies with characters that have similar characteristics and discuss how NOT to handle things

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We're watching Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf this weekend.

Our past favorites include Turbo (racing snails), Inside Out, High School Musical. Also old favorites like Last Starfighter, Ferris Bueller, Karate Kid, Willow, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, E.T., the G.I.Joe live-action (with Channing Tatum before the days of Magic Mike), A League of Their Own, Pixels, Splash (Tom Hanks).

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    ... A League of Their Own ...
    This movie JUST turned 30 the other day; there may be anniversary screenings in your area!

I don't enjoy baseball/softball (I am terrible at sports that involve timing) but I LOVE this movie. For more info about the history of the AAGPBL, the players' association is still active with commemorative events, field restoration, and player biographies/obits, among other cool trivia and celebrations.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just watched The Truman Show and my kids really enjoyed it. So I wanted to add that movie to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    ... Willow, ...
    OMG, I totally want to watch this with DD, but I just know it'll freak her out. Same with Labyrinth and The Neverending Story - I wanted, desperately, to see Labyrinth in theaters but, being 8 years old at the time, I had no way to get to a movie theater without my parents. My dad took me to Neverending Story; I was 6.

I loved this movie so much when I was her age!!!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A pretty recent movie that we love at our house is The Kid Who Would Be King. (link to Common Sense Media review) Minimal cussing. No lovey dovey. Just the reincarnation of King Arthur fighting against the forces of evil.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    A pretty recent movie that we love at our house is The Kid Who Would Be King. (link to Common Sense Media review) Minimal cussing. No lovey dovey. Just the reincarnation of King Arthur fighting against the forces of evil.

I was watching this movie last night and thinking it would be perfect for this thread!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmom View Post
    I was watching this movie last night and thinking it would be perfect for this thread!
    We own that movie and it is a great suggestion. The Merlin character is hilarious.

Now that we have all high schoolers, we think it’s more of a challenge as devout Catholics to find fun movies that aren’t promoting gratuitous sex, violence and swearing. We can handle anything to a small degree and it gives us something to discuss, but even my kids don’t want to consume too much of it. Instead, for our family and the kids friends we look for movies that are visually or intellectually interesting or with a ton of suspense or jump scares. They can start some lively discussions. These movies show scenes that can be disturbing and probably aren’t great for younger kids. But I mention them because I think it’s harder to find movies that teens find interesting. They just aren’t alway ready yet for all adult movies. Even my 19yo who is excited to be an adult and have access to anything says that there are some movies he wished he hadn’t seen. He just found them too disturbing with nothing redeeming about them. Some of the movies that have sparked some great discussions with my teens over the past year or 2:

Some of the M. Night Shymalan movies. They loved Signs and the Village. Because of the suicide portrayals, we haven’t watched the Sixth Sense.
    The Others with Nicole Kidman
    Source Code with Jake Gyllanhaal
    The Thing from 1982
    Alien from 1979 (the kids were impressed by how well the movie was done with the technology of the time).
    World War Z
    Train to Busan
    A Quiet Place
    Edge of Tomorrow and Many of Tom Cruise’s movies particularly his recent movies. Just talking about Scientology has lead to interesting discussions!
    The last 4 Mission Impossibles are favorites
    The Hunt for Red October
    The Fugitive
    Uncle Buck
    Canadian Bacon
    Men in Black
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles
    Arrival
    Contagion
    Gravity
    The Help
    Hidden Figures
    The Hunger Games
    Interstellar
    The Karate Kid movies
    The Martian
    The Maze Runner Movies
    The Monuments Men
    Woman in Gold
    The Longest Day
    Jaws
    Close Encounters of the third kind
    poltergeist- they thought this was funny. The technology used in the film’s making fascinated them
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 07-23-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mr. Hollands Opus is wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast